Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ljh885

I have tax exempt interest for multiple states with lots of states under $1, is it necessary to report one state by one state?

I have tax exempt for 49 states, should i report this one state by one state, regarding lots of states interest are under $1
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have tax exempt interest for multiple states with lots of states under $1, is it necessary to report one state by one state?

Is this from a municipal bond fund?

IF the exempt dividends are from multiple states, for a Municipal Bond Fund  (usually reported on a 1099-DIV, box 11):

…..you only break out your own state's $$, any US territories (like Puerto Rico), and all other stares are totaled together as one entry as "Multiple States"  ("Multiple States" selection is at the end of the list of states).

An example for an NC resident, with $1000 in box 11 of a 1099-DIV:

NC     100

PR        50

Multiple States   850

Note:  CA and MN residents cannot do a breakout unless the fund in question holds at least 50% of it's assets in that state's bonds.  IL doesn't allow it at all for Muni bond funds...only if you own individual IL bonds.

ohhh, and UT has special extra exclusions... Utah residents can also exclude bond interest from fully non-income-taxing states and DC  (AK, FL, NV, SD, TX, WA , WY  )  ,,,might be something about ND bonds for  residents of UT too, but I'm not sure why those might be involved yet.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax uses the term "More than one state”  for the desktop (download/CD) software and "Multiple States" in the  online program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies