Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

your answer is incorrect, without the information worksheet you cannot get you refund deposited into your bank, please do your home work, even if you select refund by mail you cannot print out the forms because the information worksheet is not available....program is useless without this form, I might as well just download the forms from the state and hand fill them out....Turbotax need to contact NC and find out if the information worksheet will be available...thanks

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

Without the NC information worksheet you cannot select to efile your return and have your refund direct deposited into your bank. You cannot even print out the forms. This is a very important form and online or printed forms cannot be processed without it

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@Ramwiz - NC has several forms that have not been finalized for e-filing.  Until those forms are finalized and TurboTax has programmed them into the system, the e-file process for NC will be hampered.   The complete e-filing process involves several forms that interact with each other to complete the e-filing process.  You can check the status of North Carolina form availability by using this link.

North Carolina Forms Availability

Keep in mind:

• It takes some time to incorporate state forms into TurboTax. While they may be available from your state on a given date, we need a few days to make the forms available for use in TurboTax.
  • When you locate your form or schedule, there will be dates for both Print and (depending on the state and the form) E-file availability. If the E-file form is listed as unsupported, the form must be printed and you'll need to mail your return.
  • Forms and schedules missing from the table aren't supported in TurboTax.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If the state won't accept e-filing because of certain forms after 2/24, then how do I get my $20 e-file fee back?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You can e- file your federal now and e-file the state return later.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen, select Change next to your state return.
  2. On the the Change filing method screen, select I'm not ready to file and Save.

When all the state forms are available, you can reopen your return and e-file your state return:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. On the Your 2021 federal return was accepted! page, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2021
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return)
    • Note: if you've already started your state return, you can select Continue your return in the state tax return box
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu)
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions

Your e-filed federal return will need to be accepted before you can e-file your state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the very same problem.  I purchased the efile license and when I try to submit, I get a message the TurboTax is unable to recognize the data, that turbotax 2021 tax transmission is not available and I may need to file by mail.  Turbo generated the data and processed the fee to efile, but won't let me efile.  So they are tell me thanks for the money now go put the returns in the mail.

Very same problem.  We are being charged for a service that is not being delivered.  They are stealing our money.

I have all the forms, but TurboTax says it is not able to process 2021 returns and that should file by mail.  They processed the filing fee charge, but won't process the returns.  Unaccceptable

I totally agree.  Completely unacceptable support and total failure of the quality assurance department.  I hope people get fired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is actually a NC problem at the moment, not a Turbotax problem.   i believe i saw some information on the NC department of revenues page.  all of the last minute changes the state made to law seems to have broken their efile system for individuals. 

Trying to blame NC does not work for.  TurboTax knows there is a problem, but let's user buy the service.  I have mailed my return and have challenged the bill with my credit card company.

As of today 2/17 you can now print out your NC State return, that error has been fixed but you still cannot efile your return with the state. Hopefully the state with fix their efile system for individuals soon

I have submitted my returns via USPS and won't  be using the efile service.  I have also called my credit card company and filed a complaint for non-delivery of services and I am disputing the bill.   I will no longer be using TurboTax services in the future.  Your customer support is terrible.

Chanmike
Returning Member

I had the same issue however I get that error for both Federal and State.  Why?

@Chanmike wrote:

I had the same issue however I get that error for both Federal and State.  Why?

The North Carolina Individual Income Tax Return Form D-400 is not yet available for e-filing.  It is estimated to be available on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for North Carolina state forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_nc_online_individual.html

If you want to e-file your federal tax return now then change how you file the NC state return.  This assumes that all of the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return are available for e-filing.

If using the TurboTax online editions click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  On Step 3 of the File section click on Start or Revisit.  Select the button File by Mail.  Then change the filing status of the state return.

After the federal return is e-filed and accepted by the IRS you can e-file the state return when it is available for e-filing.  Just use the same procedure and change the state return back to e-filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies