Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Citilen

I am trying to e-file my state return and cannot because box 12a cannot be higher that gross distribution on a 1099R form. It isn't high. What do i do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I am trying to e-file my state return and cannot because box 12a cannot be higher that gross distribution on a 1099R form. It isn't high. What do i do.

Box 12A on a 1099R is state income taxes withheld..this is never more than your gross distribution. Normally this box is blank on a 1099R. Do you possibly mean Box 2a, which is the taxable amount of your distribution? If so, then that amount should always be smaller than the gross distribution in Box 2., 

Checked your 1099R to see if you have these anomalies. You may need to get a corrected 1099R from the issuer just so you can report it correctly in your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rmuollo

I do not have a box 12 a on my 1099-r just 1, 2a, 4,7, 14 and 15 .. is this a bug in the program

This post is from a year ago.....and now boxes 12, 13, and 14 on a 1099-R form have been moved to 14, 15, and 16 respectively.

There is an apparent text error in one of the TTX review error check screens that still refers to box 12, when it should be referring to box 14  (the "a" is just referring to the first state line in the state area of the form)

Ignoring the fact that it says box 12 , and should say 14.........there are a few states, especially NY, that are particularly touchy about leaving box 16 empty....especially troublesome since  most 1099-R forms distributed nationwide leave box 16 empty.

Thus, the value from box 1 or 2a (if 2a has a value) must be entered into box 16, so that the box 16 $$ are  indeed greater than the value inbox 14 . 

(My NC software automatically back-fills box 16 with the value of box 2a, but I can't know what happens for other states )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies