turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjzh01
Returning Member

I am a VA resident but PA employer withheld PA state tax. How to file PA tax return amend for prior years and claim refund for future?

I am a resident of VA and fill married jointly return with my wife in VA. Because I work in PA, the reciprocal agreement state of VA, but my employer withheld PA state tax from my wages. Recently, VA taxation informs me that I couldn’t claim VA tax credit for the tax paid to PA. So, VA disallows my credit and require to pay additional tax and interest. I already make payment to VA, but does anyone could help to answer two questions? Thank you!

1. How to file PA tax return amendment for my prior years?
  2. By July 31, 2020, my employer also withheld PA state tax from my wages. How to claim the refund on my 2020 PA state tax return for this year? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am a VA resident but PA employer withheld PA state tax. How to file PA tax return amend for prior years and claim refund for future?

You need to file non resident PA returns to get the incorrect withholding refunded. That is why VA is not allowing the credit since you did not have to pay any PA taxes.  

You need to give your employer a form  REV-419 so they STOP the PA withholdings ...  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements/00/25576

Hal_Al
Level 15

You cannot get a refund of the PA withholding, so far in 2020, until you actually file a 2020 non resident PA return, early in 2021. 

TomD8
Level 15

This PA reference explains the correct procedure you need to follow:

https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/853/kw/pa%20tax%20withheld%20for%20reciproca...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies