Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

How do I get my Oregon Kicker check? It didn't get added to my state return. Did I do something wrong?

Well, we are at an impasse. I cannot see your return and until you pay for the Online product, you can't see anything but a summary of your OR-40.

Tell you what. Please go to page 17 of the OR-40 Instructions and read through the instructions for line 34. Note there are multiple pages of instructions and examples for the kicker.

See if anything in the instructions rings a bell, like change of marital status.

And let's hope that someone else either has the CD/download software or has paid for the Online product.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I get my Oregon Kicker check? It didn't get added to my state return. Did I do something wrong?

@BillM223 

Thank you for the info.  I read the link and i have done everything correct.

What I need is a contact at Turbotax to look at this.  I don't know what to do.  I want to finish my taxes but I don't want to miss out on money I am owed because Turbotax isn't calculating it.

I am afraid to just complete it.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please view this Turbo Tax link that explains the Kicker credit more in detail. Select this for more details.

Keep in mine, you may not receive a kicker credit if state revenues DO NOT exceed forecasted revenues by 2 percent or more over the two-year budget cycle. If there is no excess, there is no kicker credit.  This supporting link also explains the kicker credit and how it is determined.

Instead of issuing a Kicker check in 2019, the State of Oregon will issue the credit on your Oregon State Tax return. If you are eligible for the Kicker Credit, Turbo Tax will determine what the amount of your credit is.

According to the following  link, the kicker credit is available for 2019.  This State of Oregon document explains how the credit is determined. Here are the highlights of the document:

1) To calculate the amount of your credit, multiply your 2018 tax liability before any credits—line 22 on the 2018 Form OR-40—by 17.171 percent according to OR-40 full year instructions.  This information is found on page 16 in this link

2) Taxpayers who claimed a credit for tax paid to another state will need to subtract the credit amount from their liability before calculating the credit. This is if you filed a state return in any other state besides Oregon.

3) You're eligible to claim the kicker if you filed a 2018 tax return and had tax due before credits. Even if you don't have a filing obligation for 2019, you still must file a 2019 tax return to claim your credit.  Please review this link on page 17 for detailed instructions on how your kicker credit is determined. you don't need to do any calculations. Turbo Tax will determine this for you.

Lastly, to enter your kicker information into Turbo Tax, please log into your Turbo Tax account and do the following steps:

1) Select state in the left navigational pane.

2) Once you make the selection, Turbo Tax, will transfer the information in your federal return to your state return.

3) next screen will ask you what Oregon return you wish to file. If you were a full year resident, you will select full year Oregon Resident return. Press Continue

4) press continue on the next screen

5) press Done with Income on the screen that says, Here's the income that Oregon handles differently.

6) The very next screen will begin the interview questions to see if you are eligible for the kicker credit. This is going to ask you questions about your 2018 Oregon return to see if you are eligible for the credit. if you are eligible for the credit, Turbo Tax will determine the amount of credit you are eligible for.

So below is what I see.  Shouldn't that  amount go to the OR Refund number and then be $2308.00?  It says I am getting that back but won't add into the green.

You have tried helping me and I am thankful. I hate taxes.

Kicker.JPG

It looks like it is a software issue and I too will not file my state return until I have guarantee that this is addressed.  Anyone from Turbo Tax tech willing to review and address?

The issue is that the Kicker tax that is correctly computed is NOT being added to the overall Oregon tax amount, i.e. it is not being added to my existing refund amount.  It's as if the Kicker amount is being ignored.  Again, this looks like a technical software issue, not tax compliance issue. 

I just filed my OR state return despite having the same issue as the other posters here (regretting that decision).  My Kicker Credit is not reflected in my OR state return amount.  I agree with @ngillis1 - can someone from the tech team please look into this issue?  I went back and triple confirmed every step of the filing process, looked up my 2018 Form OR-40, validated the numbers, etc. and the kicker credit still did not reflect in my OR refund amount.  It's showing up on my 2019 Form OR-40 as a separate line, but it's NOT being added to my refund amount - that stays at a flat $947 when it should be adding the $1,175 Kicker Credit. 

lucky880

I paid for the software on line. Just like every year.  And No, I checked and  I didn't donate it to the school fund

oregonkicker
Returning Member

The TurboTax software is calculating the kicker correctly. I went back into the kicker worksheet and put in zero for my 2018 state tax and my 2019 state tax refund was exactly the amount of my kicker subtracted form the posted refund. In short looks like software is already calculating the kicker into the refund when your state tax from 2018 is automatically loaded into your 2019 taxes. In most situations in Turbo Tax the refund goes up and down as you enter information but looks like the kicker is already calculated into the estimated refund before you go through the kicker section. I would assume that if you did not have the 2018 tax info auto imported into the 2019 return and had to enter the 2018 state tax by keyboard the kicker section would adjust the estimated refund. Hope that make sense. To check go back to the kicker section and put zero in for your 2018 state tax. It should reduce your state refund by the amount of your kicker. Put your 2018 state tax back in and your kicker will then be reflected in the new estimated state tax refund,

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@oregonkicker

Thank you for your additional research. Let's see if I can confirm this.

@kimkoelbl

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below:

TurboTax Online
1. Sign into your online account.
2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left hand side of the screen.
3. A Drop down will appear. Click on Share my file with agent.
5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
6. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response.

@BillM223  Had to dig around to find the Tax Tools then Share My File with an Agent, but here's the token #: 596286.  Thank you!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@j_lettire

Thank you for sending the token. I have looked at the sanitized version of your return, and you have the kicker applied to your Oregon tax return.

It was enough to change your Oregon return from a tax due to a refund.

Evidently, you filed with TurboTax also in 2018. Another user on this forum has suggested that if you used TurboTax in 2018, the amount of tax paid is carried over to 2019, so that as soon as you start your Oregon return, the kicker is automatically calculated and added, even before the kicker screen.

You can prove this to yourself by writing down your Oregon refund, then going in to TurboTax and setting the 2018 state tax to zero. Your Oregon refund should drop by the amount of the kicker (because you just set the amount of the kicker to zero).

If this is what happens, then you now know that the kicker was already in your return (besides, I can see it).

AND BE SURE to go back into your return and change the 2018 state back to what it should be! 

@BillM223 Thank you very much for your help! 

Thank you everyone for the help!

You were right.  It was added before the kicker section.

jim691

Thanks for the answer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies