Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

How do I get my Oregon Kicker check? It didn't get added to my state return. Did I do something wrong?

Try these exact steps to determine if you are eligible for the Oregon Kicker Credit.

Please log into your Turbo Tax account and do the following steps:

1) Select state in the left navigational pane.

2) Once you make the selection, Turbo Tax, will transfer the information in your federal return to your state return.

3) next screen will ask you what Oregon return you wish to file. If you were a full year resident, you will select full year Oregon Resident return. Press Continue

4) press continue on the next screen

5) press Done with Income on the screen that says, Here's the income that Oregon handles differently.

6) The very next screen will begin the interview questions to see if you are eligible for the kicker credit. This is going to ask you questions about your 2018 Oregon return to see if you are eligible for the credit. if you are eligible for the credit, Turbo Tax will determine the amount of credit you are eligible for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Natalee65

How do I get my Oregon Kicker check? It didn't get added to my state return. Did I do something wrong?

I would lime to know do I get one ?

Natalee65

Do I get a kicker ? I don’t think I got it with my taxes thank you 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should be entitled to an Oregon kicker credit if you had Oregon taxes in 2018 and filed a tax return. 

You need to look on line 22 of your 2018 tax return to see if you had a tax that year. The kicker for 2019 would be listed on line 34 of your 2019 form OR-40.

Chestnutbelgian
Returning Member

I had the same exact thing happen to me.  I think there is an issue with Turbo Tax.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what information I need to fix this.

akpark

I'm afraid I had the same issue as everyone else. TurboTax (and OR IRS site) confirmed my kicker, but the refund was not actually applied when I submitted my taxes. I looked through all the responses but still unclear what I need to do to actually receive my Kicker. Help?

ryanhail

Honestly I did not know anything about the kicker.  I did my taxes, sent them in and paid what I owed.  Now 4 weeks later, Oregon sent me a bill for $700 more dollars because TurboTax did not figure in the kicker. 👎

Mrcuddles

Ty

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. According to this Oregon.gov website, You're eligible to claim the kicker if you filed a 2020 tax return and had tax due before credits. Even if you don't have a filing obligation for 2021, you still must file a 2021 tax return to claim your credit. There will be detailed information on how to claim your credit in the 2021 Oregon personal income tax return instructions.

As you prepare your State of Oregon return, the Oregon Kicker Credit is addressed. You will first be asked, if you filed an Oregon return in 2020. Then it will ask you filing status. Then it asks, about your 2020 return. If you entered 0 tax liability in accordance with the various line and tax forms mentioned, you will not receive the credit.

I did not receive my Oregon Kicker. When I filed it gave me an amount that I should have been eligible for and it was  never applied to my return. Is there something else I need to do? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. According to this Oregon.gov website, You're eligible to claim the kicker if you filed a 2020 tax return and had tax due before credits. Even if you don't have a filing obligation for 2021, you still must file a 2021 tax return to claim your credit. There will be detailed information on how to claim your credit in the 2021 Oregon personal income tax return instructions.

As you prepare your State of Oregon return in Turbo Tax, the Oregon Kicker Credit is addressed. You will first be asked, if you filed an Oregon return in 2020. Then it will ask you filing status. Then it asks, about your 2020 return. If you entered 0 tax liability in accordance with the various line and tax forms mentioned, you will not receive the credit.

@marcia_reyes

lucky880

It told me I had a kicker of like $400 plus but it never moved my state refund number. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Kicker Credit is refundable so there are no limits based on liability. If you filed with Turbo Tax last year, it already knew the amount.

• If your OR return has already been filed, then you will need to do an amended return to get the Kicker Credit. See I need to amend my state return.
  • If it has not been filed - go through these steps

Verify that you have gone through the Kicker entry process

Preview your return

• If you are using the online version:
    1. Go to the state return and enter
    2. go to Tax Tools,
    3. then select Tools,
    4. select View Tax Summary,
    5. you should see your state summary, if not, look on the left side and select it.
    6.  Look at Total Payments and Refundable Credits
    7. The kicker credit should be included on that line
  • In the desktop program, switch to forms mode.
    • Form 40, line 36

If the kicker is not showing in your return, you need to Contact Us

43582610s
Returning Member

I was not asked about Oregon Kicker. Please advise before I pay Or. Taxes 4/15.

43582610s
Returning Member

Sorry this is too complicated for me (re 2018).

Im happy that the Kicker for 2021 was covered in my 2021 Return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies