turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the dates for part year residency if I began the year in GA, then moved to NC and was then relocated back to GA before the end of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How do I enter the dates for part year residency if I began the year in GA, then moved to NC and was then relocated back to GA before the end of the year?

There's no way to enter two separate periods of part-year residency in TurboTax because there's no way to show it on the Georgia tax return form. TurboTax can't provide a way to handle a situation that the state forms don't provide for.

I suggest that you call the Georgia Department of Revenue (877-423-6711) and ask them what you should do. Post a reply in this thread to let us know what they say.

Thanks!  I called Georgia and told me that their form doesn’t require dates for part year residents and they were not sure why TurboTax was asking for it.  I printed the Schedule 3 form for part year and it does not ask for dates.  They told me to call TurboTax to ask why the dates are requested.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@bmnsmn0907 

Schedule 3 does not require the dates, but the main tax form, Form 500, does require the dates. The dates are on line 4 of Form 500, just below your name and address. For a part-year resident the instructions for Form 500 line 4 say "Note: List the dates you lived in Georgia." TurboTax asks for the dates because Form 500 requires the dates. But there is only room for one pair of beginning and ending dates.

I suggest that you call again, and if you get someone equally ignorant, tell them to look at Form 500 line 4.

Heck, in other years in this situation,  you'd indicate you were a full yr resident of GA the whole year, and then treat NC as a a temporary residence that  you didn't really "move" to. ...since you were there  only temporarily. 

The you'd prepare and file the NC nonresident tax return reporting just the portion of your W-2 wage income that you received while physically working there....and if any ends up getting taxed by NC, you'll get a credit on the GA tax return for any taxes NC kept.  But you do have to prepare the NC non-resident tax return first.

That's the only way I can see to handle it......but that's just my opinion. I don't think any State's tax returns allow for two moves during the year claiming you were a resident of one...then the other...then to a 3rd state (or back to the original in your case).  Just treat the middle state as income as a non-resident

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
TomD8
Level 15

One good thing about @SteamTrain 's suggestion is that neither state really gets cheated if you follow his procedure.

That's because - due to the out-of-state credit you can take and the fact that the two states have almost identical tax rates - the bottom line taxes you would pay to each state using his method are virtually the same as you'd pay if you could do a "back and forth" residency in TurboTax.

Your NC income is taxed the same by NC whether you file as a part-year resident or as a non-resident.

If you file in both states as a part-year resident, GA taxes the GA portion and NC taxes the NC portion.

If you file in GA as full-year resident and in NC as a non-resident, GA taxes both portions, but gives you a credit for the taxes paid to NC on the NC portion.

Without doing the math, I think it's pretty close to a wash either way.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
malaikofta123
Returning Member

Hi,

1. Worked in VA for few months

2. Worked in GA for few months

3. Back to VA, worked for few months

4. Again worked in GA for few months

My primary residence is VA. How to proceed on filing the state taxes with regards to the part time resident dates?

Thanks,

Malia

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I think you are confusing residency with where you were living. Being a resident means establishing yourself.  Here are some things states look at when determining residency from The Tax Book:

• Registering to vote and voting in the new state.
  • Purchasing residential property.
  • Titling and registering vehicles.
  • Paying state income tax to another state
  • Notifying the state of previous legal residence/domicile of the change in state of legal residence/domicile.
  • Preparing a last will and testament which indicates the new state of legal residence/domicile

My guess would be that you are a VA resident and GA nonresident.  Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident GA return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. Then prepare your resident state VA return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state. 
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same taxable income. You may owe your resident state,  if they have a higher tax rate along with differences in how the taxable income is calculated.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order. You get credit for the lower state tax on the lowest taxable amount.

• Each state calculates taxable income differently. 
  • Each state has its own tax rate/ system.
  • You get the lowest of both categories as a tax credit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
malaikofta123
Returning Member

Thanks for the response. What do I put as the start date and end date. I have multiple start and end dates for both the states.

Thanks,

Malia

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you don't want to be a resident and nonresident. So, you really did change driver's license, voting and everything else multiple times? Oy, that is just not common. I assumed you would be a full year resident in your home state of VA since you said that is home and where you plan to return. Intention to return is also a key factor in residency. I just don't believe you were ever a resident of GA.

If you are absolutely determined to file part year returns, I guess you can figure out the right number of days and make up fake dates to equal the right number of days. I strongly, strongly, urge you to reconsider claiming part year.

@malaikofta123 

malaikofta123
Returning Member

No. My primary residence is VA and my driving license is also of VA. Just went to GA couple of times and worked there.

Thanks,

Malia

AmyC
Expert Alumni

A nonresident return has no dates. A resident return has no dates since it is for the full year. No dates needed in that case!

@malaikofta123

malaikofta123
Returning Member

Thanks.

i.e.  On the My Info page, you will NOT indicate you moved, nor lived in another state during 2023.

And at the bottom of the My Info page, you indicate that you worked...or had income in another state, that being GA.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies