Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sjkjakus

How do I adjust capital gain distributions for wisconsin?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You can adjust your capital gain distributions for Wisconsin in the state section. You will see a screen Adjustments for Capital Gains and Losses? Say Yes to make adjustments.

TurboTax will automatically compute the deduction of 30% of the net capital gain from assets held more than one year is allowable when computing Wisconsin taxable income (60% of net capital gain on farm assets). You do not have to make that adjustment.

Learn more at Reporting Capital Gains and Losses for Wisconsin by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm a full time WI resident.  I have no capital loss carryover.  In 2020, I had long term capital gains from sale of mutual fund and from a distribution from that same fund.  These show up on lines 9(h) and and Line 13 of Federal Schedule D

The LTCG from sale of mutual fund shows up on line 10(h) of Wisconsin Schedule WD, but only 70% of the distributions paid by that fund appear on Line 14 of Wisconsin Schedule WD.  

My question is: Am I supposed to make a Wisconsin Adjustment to the LTCG from the sale of the mutual fund?  Should the the 30% deduction apply to the  LTCG associated w/ sale of mutual fund?

Thank you

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No adjustment, Yes correct. The long term capital gains are given a 30% reduction. Farm assets are 60%. See Pub 103 Reporting Capital Gains and Losses for Wisconsin for more information.

Av8o1

Please tell  me how to navigate to Wisonsin tax TT Premier to change the subraction for long term capital gain for sale of farmland to 60% instead of the 30% subrtaction I'm now receiving.  Reference Schedu1 SB line 5.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Wisconsin allows a deduction for 30% of the net capital gain from assets held more than one year (60% of net capital gain on farm assets). 

You can make this adjustment in TurboTax Premier CD/Download:

1. Tap Forms in the top right
  2. In the left column, tap Schedule WD
  3. Enter you farmland capital gain on Schedule WD, Part 3, line 21. TurboTax will add another 30%.

ninwin
Returning Member

Follow up request on: "Please tell  me how to navigate to Wisonsin tax TT Premier to change the subtraction for long term capital gain for sale of farmland to 60% instead of the 30% subtraction I'm now receiving.  Reference Schedu1 SB line 5."

Same question rephrased for my situation: 

Please tell  me how to navigate to Wisconsin TT Premier to reflect the subtraction for long term capital gain for 30%. It appears to me that Wisconsin is taxing the full amount even though it is a long-term gain. I have already submitted my forms but have been told by financial advisor that amount owed Wisconsin is higher than one would expect (got a federal refund) so I'm looking for where I went wrong with state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies