turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yfed

Help with W-2 (live in NJ/work in NY)

I live only in NJ and work only in NY. Just got my W2 for 2019, it has three (they don't make it easy) different copies:

#1 Federal Filing Copy (Copy B), to be filed with employee's Federal Income Tax Return

State: Blank, Employer's State ID: "Total State", State Wages: 0, State Income Tax: xxx

#2 NJ State Reference Copy (Copy 2), to be filed with employee's State Income Tax Return

State: NJ; Employer's State ID: xxx-xxx-xxx/000, State Wages: xxx, State Income Tax: 0

#3 NY State Filing Copy (Cope 2), to be filed with employee's State Income Tax Return

State: NY; Employer's State ID no: xxx-xxx-xxx, State Wages: xxx, State Income Tax: xxx

How do I fill this information out? What do I put for Boxes 15-17 in my W2? 

Do I only include form #1 on the Federal Income Tax and then for the other two copies for State (NJ + NY Non-Resident) ?

Please advice, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The federal W2 entry will need both states listed. Use the Add Another Row button under the state wages.

After completing your federal return:

Prepare non-resident NY return first. This creates your tax liability for NY -balance due or refund.

Prepare resident state second. This allows the program to give you a credit for the NY tax paid, the lower of NJ or NY liability.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The federal W2 entry will need both states listed. Use the Add Another Row button under the state wages.

After completing your federal return:

Prepare non-resident NY return first. This creates your tax liability for NY -balance due or refund.

Prepare resident state second. This allows the program to give you a credit for the NY tax paid, the lower of NJ or NY liability.

tjdempsey1
Returning Member

Subject outlines facts NJ state note informs me of double taxation. What do I need to do? File a return for both states?

Tom Dempsey

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, You will need to file a nonresident NY return and a resident NJ return.  If you are a resident of NJ and work in NY, you would need to include all your income on your NJ return and only the income earned in NY or NY source income in your NY nonresident return. 

You should enter your nonresident NY information first in TurboTax and then your NJ resident information.

If this is not your question, please clarify.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies