turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Georgia - Incorrect Residency status for Spouses Full-year+Part-year

Step-by-step does not lead to the correct selection of residency status when one spouse is full-year resident and the other is part-year (MFJ). The Georgia instructions are to choose "nonresident" status in this case. Apparently this is rare enough that I cannot find other posts about it, but I must not be the only one as it is clearly addressed in Georgia's filing instructions. I can edit the form manually and complete Schedule 3, but there are unfixable downstream effects - in my case I cannot claim credit for tax paid to another state because that worksheet is disallowed for nonresident status. I could calculate the worksheet on paper and fill in the final value, but I still need to attach a copy of the other state return, and while TT has a section for attaching PDFs, it is disallowed because TT perceives no need to attach any.

Would appreciate an employee to run this scenario and confirm that I am correct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Georgia does say to file a non-resident return if one person is a full-year resident and the other is a part-year return. GA says, “If one spouse is a resident and one is a part-year resident or nonresident, enter 3 [nonresident] in the residency status box and complete Form 500, Schedule 3 to calculate Georgia taxable income.”

A non-resident return will allow you to exclude non-Georgia income so you will not need to claim a credit for tax paid to another state. There should not be any double-taxed income. You will only pay GA tax on income earned while a resident of GA. The other state income will not be reported on the GA Form-500.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I know that I should not be double-taxed, but I cannot fail to report the income. I must use the Other State Tax Credit Worksheet, which Turbotax will not permit me to add to my return because of the bug we are discussing. As I said, even if I do the worksheet on paper, I still need to attach a copy of my other state return, which it will not allow me to do. Therefore, I cannot efile. Please make sure this bug is reported.

Kiaoptima4
Returning Member

I was filing my Georgia state taxes. I was also doing my Sister n law taxes who is from Michigan. How do I take off Michigan from my Georgia taxes

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you using TurboTax for Desktop? If so, please see How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software? for assistance with removing Michigan from your tax return. 

@Kiaoptima4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies