turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing state taxes only?

I filed my federal taxes with a company that didn’t allow me to file multiple state  taxes (moved states mid year) can I e file just state taxes here? How do I go about this? My federal was denied (obviously) through turbo tax because I already filed them and they were accepted, but it won’t let me submit both of my state tax forms Through turbo tax! Thanks in advance for any insight 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Filing state taxes only?

You need to prepare both Federal and State returns in TurboTax, and then mail in your State returns.

State returns can't be efiled on their own.

Click this link for more info on Filing State Returns Only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Filing state taxes only?

You need to prepare both Federal and State returns in TurboTax, and then mail in your State returns.

State returns can't be efiled on their own.

Click this link for more info on Filing State Returns Only.

ileaiye99

Filing state taxes only?

Have you tried to do it directly in the Department of Revenue of the state you need to file? Some states allow to do it directly on their website.

Filing state taxes only?

If I already efiled my Fed, can I efile my state now?

Filing state taxes only?

Did you use Turbo Tax for Federal?  If you don't file state together with federal, you have to wait until your federal refund is Accepted.

How to file state after federal

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

Hattywong

Filing state taxes only?

I have finished the Federal tax but the system shows that I can't file the State Tax

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Filing state taxes only?

It depends.

As long as you have not mailed your state return in, you can do the following:

1. Sign in to TurboTax. 
  2. You should be able to see Your Tax Returns & documents  
  3. Select show here. 
  4. Select 2019
  5. Select Add a state

This will allow you to see your state return.  (You do not need to actually add a state, but this will allow you to access your existing state return.)

You will then be able to try to electronically file your state return. 

Filing state taxes only?

I already filed my federal tax return. When i try and file my state tax return electronically, i am receiving a message stating, Returns with Pass-Through Business Alternative Income Tax Credit cannot be filed electronically? What is that?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Filing state taxes only?

@Zaldogg53 - Would I be correct in assuming that your state is NJ?  First, this form has not been finalized and is needed for processing your return. This is causing the error. TurboTax is working to finalize this form soon.  Once finalized, you will be able to e-file. Isuggest waiting for the e-file.

Below is some information about this new NJ document. 

For New Jersey purposes, income and losses of a pass-through entity are passed through to its owners. However, the law allows pass-through entities to elect to pay tax due on the owner’s share of distributive proceeds. The owner(s) may then claim a refundable tax credit for the amount of tax paid by the pass-through entity on their share of distributive proceeds.

Pass-through entities included under this law are:

• Partnerships;
  • federal S corporations that have made the New Jersey S corporation election; and
  • Limited liability companies (LLCs).

The entity must have at least one member who is liable for tax on their share of distributive proceeds pursuant to the New Jersey Gross Income Tax Act, N.J.S.A. 54A:1-1 et seq., in a taxable year.

Single member limited liability companies and sole proprietorships may not elect to pay the Pass-Through Business Alternative Income Tax.

“Distributive proceeds” means the net income, dividends, royalties, interest, rents, guaranteed payments, and gains of a pass-through entity, derived from or connected with sources within New Jersey.

If you feel that this does not apply to you, we can try to delete the form:

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies