Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing State Return Electronically Later AFTER e-filing my Federal Return

I e-filed my federal return and indicated I would file my state (Kentucky) return later. 

The federal return e-filed fine. 

Now, I'm going back to e-file the state return. I select: 

E-file my state return now. 

Note the text below states: 

The following return has been transmitted.

- Federal Return

I select "Continue"

I get 

E-file requires federal return

To e-file, you must select the federal return

Click Back to select federal and any other returns you'd like to file.

TurboTax won't let me e-file my state. 

I have done it this way every year without a problem. 

Is there a bug? Do you have a work around so I can e-file my state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you using a TurboTax CD/Download product? If so, please see Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return? for possible solutions and a link to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoiler

I have the same problem. My state return is CA. I received email confirmation my Fed Return was accepted by efile today.  I selected Direct Debit.  I ran a review like you said and TT now thinks I want to change my choice of Direct Debit.   I just tried to insert a screen shot but it does accept in in this post.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If your Federal return has been transmitted and accepted, there is no changing the way you want to receive your refund.  The state return will be accepted after the federal is accepted.  So give the state a day or so.

That isn't right. 

TurboTax validated there is a bug in TurboTax Premier. They are doing a program update with the fix on March 19th. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

They emailed me yesterday 3/19, that it was fixed. It still fails.  The support rep said go try to submit your state return on line. If that does not work, just mail a paper copy in

.  So now I will claim a refund on my $25 for state return E-file that does not work.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

3-15  Completed both federal and state returns.  Transmitted the federal return.  Received a TT email that it was accepted.  Tried to submit California return but TT program prevented it. Was informed that there is a bug and the fix would be available 3-19, I would be notified by email

3-19 Received the support email at 4:00pm PT.  Attempted to E-file the CA return.  Same failure remains. Called TT support, case number [social security number removed].  The rep had me clear cookies ,  reboot and try it again. Still fails the same way.  She said I could  mail a paper copy to the state.

3-20   I have decided to mail the return to the state.  I request the $25 refunded since TT could not provide this service. 

3-15  Completed both federal and state returns.  Transmitted the federal return but the state would not go to the store to allow me to pay for it. The Federal was accepted so I tried to file Wisconsin return and again and it still will not go to the store to pay for it. I saw the notice of the fix coming 3-19, tried it again today )3/20) and still will not work.

I cleared the cookies and did a reboot and it still fails the same way.  Is there another fix coming or what options do I have?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to Customer Support for assistance with this issue: What is the TurboTax phone number?

I have been waiting to file my taxes because there have been so many glitches regarding the state returns. I assumed any problems would have been resolved by now since there's been issues going back to February. Apparently some CA filers are still having problems filing. There was a CA update to TT yesterday, but think I'll wait a little longer before filing. I just don't understand why the latest recommendation is to print out state returns and mail them rather than e-file through TT!

The issue I reported with e-filing my KY return was solved with the March 19 update of TT. 

I called the tech support for TT and they opened a ticket. A day later, the failure I reported was acknowledged and a few days after that they communicated they had a fix which would be included in the March 19 update. 

Apparently, you are experiencing a different issue. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The software is being updated for the latest changes enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan.  One of the provisions involved items such as not taxing part of unemployment income.  In general, each state has different rules on whether they tax unemployment or not.  As such, the software needs to be updated to ensure all states are reporting the adjustment correctly to ensure your state return is prepared correctly.

IRS Statement on American Rescue Plan

Once the software is updated, you will be able to electronically file your tax return.  It has been a tax year full of changes and it does take a bit of time to update the program to ensure your return is filed correctly.

@CBCinCA

Success! Both federal and CA state taxes e-filed today and both were accepted within hours. Happy I waited a bit longer to file. Guess the states had to align with the new federal guidelines and all those TT updates helped.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies