turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtaceron
Returning Member

Federal Tax Return Rejected. Error code IND-412

I recently made multiple attempts to file amendments for my federal tax returns. However, TurboTax is saying that my return was rejected due to error code IND-412:
"IND-412 - If 'RefundAmt' in the return has a value greater than zero, then 'OwedAmt' must be equal to zero if an amount is entered."

How can I properly fix my return so that it isn't rejected? Clicking "Fix my return" just brings me to a page that asks me to "Continue to refile". Clicking "Revist" on the error takes me to a page that desribes the error again. 

In other forums, TurboTax says to fix an issue, all I have to do is click "Fix it now" or "Revisit" and TurboTax will guide me through fixing the return. This does not seem to be the case for me. Neither of these options give me any meaningulf prompts or actions to properly address the issue. Both buttons currently just redirect me towards refiling again, only for the return to be rejected eventually.

I tried googling the error code and confirmed that my ammended tax documents had an empty space on Line 20 of my 1044-X. The field says that it should have a zero if certain criteria are met. In my case, I believe the field should be zero, but instead it's empty and I think that's the issue that is causing my return to get auto-rejected. I don't know how to manually make this change as there isn't an easy option to jump to this specific field. Searching for 1044-X only showed options to jump to the traditional 1044. 

Has anyone had this issue before? Is a representative able to go in and make this change for me so that I can proceed with my returns?

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

@jtaceron - first, has the original return been processed?  I wouldn't submit an amendment until that occured.  also, you state "amendments" - are there really more than 1? there should only be one amendment; any and all changes should be part of that one amendment. 

start there, 

jtaceron
Returning Member

Sorry for the confusion. Yes my original return has been process and accepted. I used "amendments" loosely in my post. It's only one amendment, and all the changes are a part of that one amendment. Hope that helps clear things up to further pinpoint the error.

@jtaceron what do you have on EACH of the following lines of form 1040X? 

18-

19-

20-

21-

22- 

I wonder if it is worth deleting the 1040X and re-entering???? worst case: mail in the amendment....

"'OwedAmt' must be equal to zero if an amount is entered.""

since you said you see that line is empty, TurboTax is sending a non-zero amount to IRS anyway.

This is a bug in TurboTax.

@jtaceron 

finally I found someone else with the same problem as me.  In my case i'm trying to efile a 2021 amended return for a client

I using Proseries instead of Turbo Tax.

jtaceron
Returning Member

I spoke to a customer service rep from TurboTax and had no luck. They said they would be able to go into the form and make corrections for me if I had the desktop version of the software (which requires payment). I was then instructed to try restarting the amendment. After following instructions on how to restart, I still saw my previous changes auto-fill. So I haven't been able to successfully restart my amendment from scratch. 

I might just have to mail it in... 😕 

JDJDT1
Returning Member

I just did an admendment and it was rejected for the same error.  Line 20 of my amended form is blank and suspect it needs to be zero.  Following steps in email I can see in turbo tax it is rejected but when I click on review again nothing happens.  I AM STUCK AND NEED HELP

@trm100 You might try posting on the ProSeries forum.

1hunnit
Returning Member

I just ran into this issue as well. I have the premier model and was able to connect with an expert reviewer. Thank you for posting this question because I referenced this post and it expedited my help. They immediately reached out to the tech team.

Basically, they said the IRS's current e-file system does not process federal refund amount changes. Any federal refund amounts changes will be automatically rejected. It is a bug on the IRS e-file system.

The solution provided: Opt to print your amendment forms and mail it in. Make sure to go to the post office to send via certified mail (tracking). 

i've managed to fix my and got it efiled.  pull your transcript and look at all the transactions that took place - including any code 612 - Removed payment with return.

enter all payments and credits exactly in box 16 and 18

in my case on the original return there was a payment due - that was paid.  but for whatever reason the transcript

Code 613 - payment with return
Code 612 - removed payment with return

Code 670 - payment with return

on the 1040x box 16 - i entered both the amount for code 613 and code 670

box 19 - i entered the amount for code 612

the 1040x is also generating a refund

efiled and it went through with no problem this morning

1hunnit
Returning Member

@trm100 
What do you mean by pull your transcript? Where is this option?

@1hunnit wrote:

@trm100 
What do you mean by pull your transcript? Where is this option?

This is the IRS website for transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

This is the IRS website for your tax account - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

1hunnit
Returning Member

@trm100 wrote:

i've managed to fix my and got it efiled.  pull your transcript and look at all the transactions that took place - including any code 612 - Removed payment with return.

enter all payments and credits exactly in box 16 and 18

in my case on the original return there was a payment due - that was paid.  but for whatever reason the transcript

Code 613 - payment with return
Code 612 - removed payment with return

Code 670 - payment with return

on the 1040x box 16 - i entered both the amount for code 613 and code 670

box 19 - i entered the amount for code 612

the 1040x is also generating a refund

efiled and it went through with no problem this morning

I attempted to e-file again and pray it gets accepted (I didn't see this post before e-filing again). I will try this once I get the rejection again. I didn't know there was a way to manually edit the 1040X form through turbo tax. Is it pretty obvious (I can't look through it right now since my e-file is pending)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies