turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

excess CA SDI

wont let me efile becasue it says i have excess CA SDI which i dont . only had one employer

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

excess CA SDI

Are you filing joint and your spouse has a W-2 and you accidentally entered both W-2's for the same spouse?

Or perhaps there is a rounding error - try reducing the amount by $1.00.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

excess CA SDI

only one W2. rounded correctly. its on a loop cant file till resolved. glitch in system i think.

excess CA SDI

Be sure you didn't mistype the state wages box on the W-2.  If you did, it's doing a calculation based on an incorrect wage.

excess CA SDI

Is it in box 14 on your W-2?  How much did you enter?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

excess CA SDI

yes its in box 14 . Doubled checked w2 several times . any more suggestions. its on a loop im going crazy or crazier

excess CA SDI

double checked but thannks. can you thimk of anything else its drivivng me batty

excess CA SDI

It cannot be more than $1,229.

Actually unless you are itemizing deductions, it is  not necessary to enter it at all.  The only reason for it to be entered is it is a state tax that can be a deduction but only if you itemize.

excess CA SDI

so sdi is only 280ish. so turbo tax brought it to my attention on review so I added a zero, now ive removed the zero and everything is fine. Go figure , Thanks to all that replied. allowed some other ideas to crop up in my head based on your suggestions and have now filed my taxes. Thank you all

doover25

excess CA SDI

SOLVED:

I also have only 1 employer.

I also had excess, but TurboTax wouldn't let me file.

The fine/bolded print at the bottom of the Excess SDI Worksheet says:

• 1 employer
  • you were taxed more than 1% of gross
  • Then you CANNOT claim excess but need to contact your employer for a refund.

Thus, I blanked Form 540 Line 74 (no zero, but blank) and the error went away and I was able to file.

farvour

excess CA SDI

I just encountered this for this year's filing (of 2021 in 2022) where the maximal amount was a penny less than my employer provided (1 employer) W2. I reduced the amount by 1 cent to be the maximum and continued to eFile. I believe as described above it's more of an issue if you itemize. I took standard deduction so I'm not even sure if this number would have mattered to me. In any case, reducing it by one cent made TT happy. If this number had been much greater than a penny I would be concerned that my employer accidentally withheld too much and I'd have to get a refund from them I presume...

excess CA SDI

I don't even have a W-2.  Retired for years and only 1099s and some interest and dividends.  Got  "No Error" report for both my fed and CA, and successfully E-filed Fed and Accepted, but TT won't let me e-file CA regardless of how many times I enter -0- on Line 74.  Keeps trying to bounce me back to a "Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statements included in the Federal Program," despite having correctly checked the box on TT's Fed program as "didn't receive any W-2's"

So I've already paid TT the fee to file CA electronically, but now I can't, and guess I have to print and file CA by mail.   I've never had this glitch in prior years as retiree with no W-2(s), but I see threads in this forum going back several years discussing this, with no effective answer or solution.

excess CA SDI

Great solution/workaround for my identical problem for 2021.  I have no W-2s but TT on its own entered "0" on line 74, triggering error message and not allowing me to e-file CA return.  BUT your suggestion of deleting the "0" generated by TT on Line 74, and leaving that line blank, cured the problem.  Thanks.

moose3130

excess CA SDI

Deleting the 0 completely did it for me. The return was finished,  I did the double check at the end and it wouldn't let me file. On line 74  excess SDI of which I didn't have any excess there was a Actual "0" on that line  Which was correct I didn't have any excess SDI but it would not let me file with the "0" on that line so I just Deleted the "0" an it then let me complete and file the return. Took me 6 hours of searching. I finally saw something on this chat that gave me a clue. Hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies