Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Efiling State With A Data Override

While I know that TurboTax cannot efile Federal with a return containing data overrides, is the same true for state efilng?

Background - TurboTax is correctly computing my Federal Return, but failing to subtract a non-taxable item for my state (Michigan, Schedule 1, Line 10).  Specifically, the item in question is  Accrued Market Discount on Treasury notes.  Which is taxable at Federal level, but by Michigan (I checked).   This item is populated from broker 1099B and carries into my Federal 1040 correctly (Schedule B, Section 1).  Other workarounds have not worked for me, and I would like to simply override that one field on my Michigan return.  Will doing so preclude state e-filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

No, you can't e-file a state tax return (or any TurboTax return) with an override due to the TurboTax accuracy guarantees. You may, however, file the state return by mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same/similar issue with my E-File for two (2) states.  I also paid $50. to E-File.  Does anyone have experience with getting a refund from TbTx when the states reject the E-File tax forms?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Please see this help article for instructions as to how to request a refund on a TurboTax product online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies