turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does receiving your state refund mean that your return is already processed?

This is my first time doing my taxes, and I have already received my california state refund. My question is whether receiving my refund means that my return was already processed or are they still processing it.?

Any thoughts.

Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If you received your state refund it means your state tax return has been processed by your state.   Your federal tax return is processed by the IRS.   Did you get a federal refund too?  Or are you still waiting?   Federal and state tax returns are processed separately by completely separate entities.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Nahhhh.  I find it unlikely that you would receive a CA state refund for 2021 taxes now.   

Perhaps a really late-file 2020 CA tax return's refund might come thru any time, or some adjustment from a 2020 CA tax filing

...............but one can't print and mail in a 2021 CA tax return until today (13th of Jan), so that wouldn't be processed by CA for weeks...months after CA actually gets it in the mail.

.....and 2021 CA e-filed tax returns won't even be started until after 24 Jan for "simple" tax returns.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The refund was for the 2020 tax return

@dmgallardo29 Then the state is done with your 2020 state return.    If you have not yet received a federal refund, the IRS is backlogged and is still working on your federal refund for 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have not received my federal refund yet, just the state one 

Manage cookies