Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file state tax return as a non-resident if I have real estate partnership income from the non resident state?

Last year I made some investment in real estate crowdfunding projects without thinking about tax implications. I now received Form 1065 K1 from my partnership income. This form list income sourced from a state that I am not a resident of. Do I need to file state tax as a non resident? Do I have to report all types of income in the non resident state tax return, not just real estate income? This is important because I live in Texas (no state income tax) and earn my salary income from Texas (W2). If I get rental income (K1) from, let's say from Maine, will my Maine state income tax return report and pay state tax on my W2 as well? I have $150 Maine sourced rental income (K1) and I have $XXX K Texas sourced salary income (W2). Since there is no state tax in Texas, I do not pay state tax in Texas. Will my $150 rental income in K1 force me to pay state income in my salary (W2) in Maine? This does not sound right, does it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file state tax return as a non-resident if I have real estate partnership income from the non resident state?

Possibly.  Generally, if you are a nonresident or a “Safe Harbor” resident who has income from Maine
sources resulting in a Maine income tax liability, you must file a Maine income tax return.

The best way to check is to create a nonresident Maine return. You can do that for free in TurboTax online. Complete the Maine section. If you owe tax, file a return. Otherwise delete it.

Part-year residents, nonresidents and "safe harbor" residents must file a Maine return based on their total federal adjusted gross income. Your tax liability is first calculated as if you were a resident of Maine for the entire year. You are then allowed to calculate a nonresident credit on Maine Schedule NR that will reduce your Maine tax by the portion of the tax that is related to the income you earned outside the state while a nonresident or "safe harbor" resident of Maine.

Individual Income Tax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  Generally, if you are a nonresident or a “Safe Harbor” resident who has income from Maine
sources resulting in a Maine income tax liability, you must file a Maine income tax return.

The best way to check is to create a nonresident Maine return. You can do that for free in TurboTax online. Complete the Maine section. If you owe tax, file a return. Otherwise delete it.

Part-year residents, nonresidents and "safe harbor" residents must file a Maine return based on their total federal adjusted gross income. Your tax liability is first calculated as if you were a resident of Maine for the entire year. You are then allowed to calculate a nonresident credit on Maine Schedule NR that will reduce your Maine tax by the portion of the tax that is related to the income you earned outside the state while a nonresident or "safe harbor" resident of Maine.

Individual Income Tax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your answer. I tried to file Maine state tax return but Turbo Tax is asking for additional $49 to file Maine tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies