Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CT-1040AW Column A (federal income as modified) is blank, column B (CT resident period) is $718. What is federal income as modified and what do i fill in column a

I moved to MA from CT in June. Because i was a resident, i have to file a CT-1040AW for the time i was in CT. I made 718$ in January before my worksite was shut down, which is what is in column b, both under wages.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

CT-1040AW Column A (federal income as modified) is blank, column B (CT resident period) is $718. What is federal income as modified and what do i fill in column a

CT-1040AW Column A (federal income as modified) are the amounts reported on your federal income tax return. This number should not be blank because it comes from your W-2.

Check your residency information.

• Select My Info on the left
  • Edit to the right of your name
  • State of residence (on December 31, 2020) should be Connecticut
  • Right below, I lived in another state in 2020 should be Yes
  • Massachusetts should be Previous state of residence (where you lived before moving)
  • Fill in the date you became a resident of Connecticut

If this section is complete, TurboTax will transfer the federal amount to column A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't move from Massachusetts to Connecticut, I moved to Massachusetts from Connecticut. I have all of that information put in, as it was one of the first steps. The box is still blank, and it's holding me up from submitting, as it's coming as a mistake, like when I go to complete the taxes, this issue comes up as something to review. I don't have a W2 either because the business shut down, but I read I could use my pay stubs, but I don't know what information from them I'd use, if any.

If this is for 2020, which I am assuming it is, you might still receive a W2 from the former employer, If they've told you that they will not be sending them out, then yes your pay stubs would be your best bet.

In order to file with your pay stubs, you will need to tally up all gross wages, all FIT withheld, all State IT withheld, as well as the employers' federal ID number - which you can get from their HR Department or your direct former manager if you have a way to get in touch with him/her. In some cases, you can find this information online, but it can tend to be rather time consuming and you might not get the right one. So it is better to try to get it from the Company directly. If you are unable to reach/get in touch with anyone from the former employers', you could try the Secretary of State of the State in which the company did business as they would definitely have it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies