Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rks2
Level 2

Child CA Form 3800 asking for Parent's Form 540NR details

Hello,

I am resident of TX and my child is going to college in TX. He did his summer internship in CA for 10 weeks and received his W2 with Federal and CA State Tax withheld.  I am claiming him as my dependent in my Federal Tax filing. 

When my child enters details for CA State return, it prompts for Parents info from Form 540NR,  which we don't have and Turbo Tax shows as an error when doing Review.  Should he leave these fields empty or enter 0 value.  Please let me know.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify, is the student filing a non-resident or Part-Year resident return for California? 

Does the student have unearned income, such as interest or investments and if so, was that earned from California sources? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rks2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

Student did internship for 10 weeks and received W2, no other income from interest or investment in CA.  He is planning to file as CA non-resident for State.

Thanks.

rks2
Level 2

Hello @KrisD15 ,

Could you please let me know on this or if there any additional info required. 

Thanks

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

California Form 3800 is the Tax Computation for Certain Children with Unearned Income. For certain children, unearned income over $2,300 is taxed at the parent’s rate if the parent’s rate is higher.

Based on the information you provided, your child does not have unearned income in California, just a summer internship. Therefore, Form 3800 is not applicable.

The TurboTax questionnaires should be reviewed to determine what caused TurboTax to create this form.

You could also try deleting the form. In TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "3800 " and follow the instructions.

Daisy44
Returning Member

I am having a similar issue in that the CA form 3800 is not applicable to my kid's CA 540NR filing, yet Turbotax keeps re-generating this form no matter how many times I delete it. (My kid is a CA non-resident with some CA earned income---but has *no* unearned income sourced to CA, only unearned income sourced elsewhere.)

I have gone through the Turbotax interview questions many times and can't figure out which one is triggering the creation of this form.

Any thoughts on how to address this in order to delete the form? I would imagine that this form should not generate unless the software is "told" via the interview questions that there is unearned income sourced to CA, especially in a situation where the tax filer is filing a 540NR as a CA non-resident.

There should be a way to delete this form permanently. In fact, this form should generate at all in this situation.

rks2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply. TT didn't generate the form 3800 for my child's return. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

@rks2 You're welcome!

@Daisy44  - If federal Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income, was filed with the child’s federal tax return, this could be causing it to appear with your California Nonresident return.  

You could try (1) deleting the California return and starting it again, to see if this removes the unneeded Form 3800, or (2) completing the Form 3800 showing zero California unearned income, if that is correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies