turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can TurboTax help me file a West Virginia/Non-Resident Early Return? Sold a WV vacation home a few months ago, was taxed. Form allows early return of that tax.

When I click on the "State Return", TTax assumes that I want to add a WV state return to my completed 2020 tax filing, but we sold in 2021.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can TurboTax help me file a West Virginia/Non-Resident Early Return? Sold a WV vacation home a few months ago, was taxed. Form allows early return of that tax.

There is no early return.  You will file the WV return for 2021.  If you have no WV income to report, then do not complete the WV state return.

The tax software for 2021 will not be released until late November 2021; we do not know yet when the IRS will begin to accept e-files for 2021 returns.   For 2020 returns it was not until late February.   Typically it is later for the state forms to be ready for filing, so you likely will not be able to file your 2021 state return until late February 2022.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

George, thanks, but closing lawyers provided a blank Form WV/NRER ( to be filed as early as 60 days following closing which was June 29th 2021 and as late as 120 days after closing). 

I was hoping TTax could assist me in calculating & filing that form. 

John

That is not a TurboTax form, but if you Google WV/NRER you will find sites that help you fill in the form online.  I personally use a site called pdf filler.  Here is a link for the form.

PDFfiller - wv wvnrer tax(1).pdf

Fill in the form online, print it, sign it in in ink, and mail it to the address at the bottom of the form.

@johnwalker50 wrote:

George, thanks, but closing lawyers provided a blank Form WV/NRER ( to be filed as early as 60 days following closing which was June 29th 2021 and as late as 120 days after closing). 

I was hoping TTax could assist me in calculating & filing that form. 

John

Sorry, Turbotax is not designed that way.  The entire program (federal plus state modules) is prepared as a package, and--although it may be released in preliminary form in November--it isn't usually actually ready to file until late January.   

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   Can TurboTax (TT) help me file a West Virginia/Non-Resident Early Return?

A. No.  TT does not support form  WV/NRER, which is a stand-a-lone form and not part of the  WV annual tax return.  

Not exactly.  If WV retained income tax on the sale, then you must file to get it back if you had a loss on sale.   They have a form to get that money returned to you outside of filing a tax return, but there is a narrow time window for filing it. WV/NRSR

Just had an awesome conversation with the WV income tax help line.  Here is the deal.  They withhold income taxes in case you made a profit on the sale of a WV home.  You can file a form WV/NRSR to get it returned to you BUT only in the time slot of 60 to 120 days after the sale.  Regardless of whether you file that form or not, you ALSO must file a WV tax return and supporting documents.  Those forms are: IT140, WV schedule A, WV 8949 and Federal Schedule D.  If you made any profit, you can file a WV schedule M as well which might give you a deduction.  That's it.   Turbo tax filled out the IT140 for me but it couldn't handle the rest, had to do it manually.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies