turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrdi
Level 1

CA permanent resident worked remotely from Hawaii for 2 months

Will I be double taxed if I am permanent resident in California, and worked from Hawaii for 2 months?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

You won't be double-taxed.  Here's how it works:

The income you earned while working in Hawaii is considered Hawaii-source income, and is taxable by Hawaii.

ALL your income, including that from Hawaii, is taxable by your resident state of California.

Therefore at tax time you must file both a non-resident HI tax return (reporting your income from HI) and your normal CA resident tax return (reporting all your income, including the portion from HI).

You'll be able to take a credit on your CA return for the taxes paid to HI, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

You won't be double-taxed.  Here's how it works:

The income you earned while working in Hawaii is considered Hawaii-source income, and is taxable by Hawaii.

ALL your income, including that from Hawaii, is taxable by your resident state of California.

Therefore at tax time you must file both a non-resident HI tax return (reporting your income from HI) and your normal CA resident tax return (reporting all your income, including the portion from HI).

You'll be able to take a credit on your CA return for the taxes paid to HI, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
mrdi
Level 1

So even if my employer/paychecks are in California,  it is still considered as Hawaii-source income, just because I work remotely in Hawaii?

mrdi
Level 1

Also do you know if TurboTax can handle, taxes cross more than one state? Or do I need to pay to an adviser, for this filing? 

TomD8
Level 15

If you do the work in Hawaii, it's Hawaii-source income and taxable to Hawaii.  Employer location doesn't matter.

And yes, TurboTax can handle multi-state returns.  Multi-state tax situations are very common.

@TomD8- Do you know the involvement the employer plays with regards to withholding taxes for Hawaii for a salaried W-2 employee? If the person works from Hawaii for 2 months or less does their employer need to do anything (or even know) or can you just fill out the nonresident form and pay taxes on the prorated salary you received while working there.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Your income is taxable to both California AND Hawaii unless you abandoned your CA residency and became a HI resident for two months. California defines a resident as any individual who meets any of the following:

• Present in California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose.

Domiciled in California, but outside California for a temporary or transitory purpose.

CA residents are taxed on income earned everywhere.

File a nonresident HI return and report income earned in HI for two months.

File a resident CA return, report all income and claim a credit for tax paid to HI.

You probably should tell you employer that you were going to work outside the state for two months. However if this was your decision, they may not be willing to change your withholding for a short period of time.

Related Resources:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 - thanks for your response. I guess the crux of the issue is I’d like to figure out how to avoid involving my employer since it’s just a short amount of time. I believe there are some rules at which point the employer is required to withhold taxes but it’s not clear to me if there are exceptions for shorter timeframes. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Are you working on 2020 or 2021? If this is 2021, you can leave your withholding unchanged and make a quarterly estimated tax payment to Hawaii in the quarter you are away from California.

File Form N-200V.

If you are using the Hawaii program for 2020 you can prepare estimated taxes within the Hawaii section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 - this would be for 2021. I like the idea of making the estimated tax payments. My worry is only that the state of Hawaii might somehow involve my employer. 
However, I just found https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/news/pubs/20BkltA.pdf section 11a seems to imply if I work for 60 days or less the employer does not need to withhold. 

tmsweatt

Hi @ErnieS0 

In my case I will be permanently moving to Hawaii from California in January at the end of my current lease.  But I will work remotely in Hawaii for 6-9 months for my CA based company. 

I think this would be considering "abandoning" my CA residence. Would I file non resident for CA and resident for HI. Would I be double taxed at all or similar case with the tax credit?

Thank you! 

TomD8
Level 15

@tmsweatt --

If you’re a W-2 employee, once you establish your new domicile in Hawaii, your remote work income done from a Hawaii location is taxable only by Hawaii.  It is no longer taxable by California.

You establish your domicile in Hawaii when you begin living in your new main, primary home there (temporary lodgings such as a hotel don’t count).

if you move after January 1st, for 2022 you would file a part-year resident return for each of the two states, assuming your CA income exceeds the filing threshold.

Once you establish your HI domicile, CA can only tax income you earn from work actually (physically) performed in CA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies