turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Luigi2
Returning Member

Amended Connecticut return for CHET contribution

I amended my CT state return to include a deduction from income for a CHET contribution which decreased taxable income by $10,000.  Turbo did not update tax on amended 1040X.  I expected a refund.  Did I miss something or is there a bug in TurboTax.  Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, this is not a bug. Connecticut Higher Education Trust (CHET) is a type of 529 plan. Contributions to a 529 plan are not deductible on your federal return, but the account can grow tax free. 

CHET contributions are deductible on the Connecticut tax return and there are some estate tax benefits as well. Check the link below and expand the Tax Advantages section to see details of the tax benefits of this plan.

Click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Luigi2
Returning Member

Thanks fore the answer but I was referring to the amended CT 1040X whose total state income tax did not change after the decrease in taxable income.CT 1040X summ.jpg

Luigi2
Returning Member

Thanks, but the question was about the amended CT return not the federal.  Turbo tax apparently updated CT taxable income but not the tax due. Please see attached

CT 1040X summ.jpg

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you have an alternative minimum tax (AMT) on your federal return (Sch 2, line 1 on your federal return), you may be subject to the same on your Connecticut return. If your Connecticut AMT is more than your regular Connecticut tax, then you would pay the AMT tax.

The Connecticut AMT is based on your federal AMT, so the CHET deduction would not affect it.

Luigi2
Returning Member

Thanks,  My Federal and CT State is not subject to AMT.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You'd have to print out the state return after the amendment and compare it with the original one and see what changed. If the adjusted gross income decreased, then the tax should decrease, unless there is something like a credit that is affecting it.

You'd have to look at the tax calculation to see what changed. The tax might be less than the original tax, but then there must be something that is affecting the net tax that shows on your tax return.

Luigi2
Returning Member

Thanks, but did not help.  I amended my CT return on Connecticut's website directly bypassing Turbotax as I could not get Premier Turbo on my PC to recalculate the state income tax no matter how many times I tried although it did change Connecticut AGI and taxable income.  I followed the screens from the opening "Amended" selection through the entire interview process trying to change the state return only but to no avail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies