Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GTM34
Returning Member

2019 Virginia amended return - bugs - numbers are inconsistent and both wrong

I am amending my 2019 Federal and Virginia tax returns.

The Federal return looks reasonable.  

The Virginia return is inconsistent.  The printed instructions (and the user interface) claim that I am due a state refund of $52, which it indicated as soon as I told TurboTax that I was amending the return, before making any changes (instead of starting with the expected value of 0).     The printed Virginia tax form, however, indicate that I owe $198.  On the original Virginia return submission, I owed $192, which I paid. I believe that I owe $6 in reality.   

Here are what I see as the sources of these errors:

1.  Printed Instructions and Interface error

The reported $52 refund on the printed instructions is VA760CG  Line 27 ($140) subtracted from the $192 I originally owed and paid when I  filed the Virginia return.  $192 - $140  = $52.   Line 33 - Sales and Use Tax -  value of $58  was ignored in the printed instructions total.  If it had been included, it would indicate that I owe $6.

2.  The amended 2019 VA760CG form total of $198 is wrong because it is not including the $192 that I originally paid, even though the program, in  amended worksheet form, shows that I had previously paid $192.   If it had included that value, it would also indicate that I owe $6.

I would prefer that the program's bugs be fixed, but in the meantime, I need to figure out how to get the right numbers to appear on the printed tax forms. 

Any advice?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If VA accepts e-File of amended return and you can e-File it ( much recommended)

you have to find some way to get the numbers correct on your state return without doing an overrride.

Otherwise, 

If the amounts are small it won't matter that you will be waiting months for a paper-filed amended return to be processed.

If you owe more, you would pay immediately and it doesn't matter how long the processing takes.

You won't be able to e-File a 2019 amended return at this time.

So, Never Mind.

I just received notification from the VA Dept. of Taxation that our 2019 VA State Return 760PY (Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return) was calculated incorrectly by Turbotax. The correct amount was not transferred from the Federal form into the VA Tax form resulting in a failure to report a large amount. This is going to result in very large penalties for us for each year it went uncorrected. Not okay! Turbotax should be held liable if their product isn't correctly calculating State Tax Filings.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies