turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zcmastro

2019 - Moved from NY to NJ

Seems as though most questions around this subject aren't asked directly, so I'd like to bring it up.

Working in NYC while living in NJ, it's understood that you are typically only paying taxes to NY in this case, and that the NY tax will be a credit to the NJ tax.

However, assuming nothing fancy, if you earn all of your income in NY, and moved from NY to NJ in the tax year, do you have to file:

- NJ resident income tax

- NY resident income tax

- NY non-resident income tax

Or just the resident income tax files?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you move during the year, you will file as a part-year resident of New York on form IT-203 -the same form that you files as a non-resident.  Your NY income is taxed a little bit differently if some of it is earned while you are a resident and while you're not, which affects the credit on the New Jersey return.  However, the New Jersey income is also adjusted for the period of residency as well, so it works out.  

You would also still file the same form in New Jersey, NJ-1040.  

As you might imagine, this type of scenario is relatively common!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmb1955

If you moved from NY to NJ and W2 has state wages listed for both NJ and NY, do you need to make an adjustment when completing Turbo Tax?  Also, if you have completed New York state return first, why doesn't NJ report the proper income when asking about income earned in both states?  Are you supposed to answer None Selected if you lived and work in NYC or are you supposed to answer New York?

Jeff

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

It depends- were you working for the same company?  If you moved, you would have to file a Part Year return for New York and New Jersey.  If you did not change employers, you would have resident income and nonresident income for one state.  If New Jersey was the state you moved to, you may need the adjustment to back out the New York income earned ONLY when you lived in New Jersey.  

Hello,

I moved to NJ from NY on 6/1/2020 and still working for the same company.

I work for the company whose office in NYC.

My company reported wages for both NY & NJ

Could you tell me what exactly do I need to  do in my case ?

What exact forms do I need to file in Turbo Tax ?

Thank you

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to file a part-year resident return in New York on Form IT-203 and a part-year resident return for New Jersey on Form NJ-1040. 

To ensure your return is calculated correctly, you will need to confirm a few items: 

In the "My Info" section of TurboTax, confirm that you have entered the correct state information: 

1. Click "Edit" to the right of your name 
  2. Confirm your input under #2 "Tell us the state(s) you lived in."  Be sure to select that you lived in another state to ensure both returns are generated in TurboTax.
  3. Do the same for your spouse if you are married filing jointly. 
  4. Go back to the personal information section, and verify the mailing address and "Other state income" section.  

Please note the following as it will affect the calculations: 

When you are preparing more than one state return, make sure you prepare the part-year resident New York state tax return first.   Be sure to answer the questions correctly to ensure only income sourced to New York is reported.

Once you have entered all of the New York state information, then start your New Jersey return.  This will ensure you receive any credits for taxes on income which may have been taxed in both states. 

Thank you!

Now in the section :

New York Income Allocation

* How much of  your income was earned in New York State

* How much of your income was earned somewhere else

Were all of your wages and/or your self-employment income earned in New York State ?

What should I answer ?  For the second part of the year I live in NJ, but still working for NY company.

Thank you

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You would say it was all earned in New York since you were still working for the New York company.

ronzon

Hello - I see the recommendation to fill out the NY return first and then the NJ one for the person who moved from NY to NJ.

My situation is the opposite, in that I moved from NJ to NYC during the year while continuing to work and earn money in NJ.

Can you please provide guidance on this situation and how the allocation would work?

Thank you.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@ronzon If you lived in New Jersey for part of the year and then moved to New York but continued to earn money in NJ as a nonresident, you will have to file both a part-year resident and nonresident NJ tax return. And a New York part-year resident return.

New Jersey says: You must file both a part-year resident return and a part-year nonresident return if:

• Your gross income from all sources (both in-state and out-of-state) for the entire year was more than the filing threshold amount;
  • You received income (whether from New Jersey sources or not) during the part of the year you were a resident; and
  • You received any amount of income from New Jersey sources during the part of the year you were a
    nonresident.

Both Part-Year Resident and Nonresident

You can claim a tax credit on your part-year NJ return for tax paid to NY during that period and NY will give you credit for tax paid to NJ for the time you lived in New York City,.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies