turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msoccio

1099R - Qualified Retirement Plan

In 2019 I withdrew $93,000 from my Qualified Retirement Plan.  On my 1099-R,  Line 1 shows $93,000 Gross Distribution.  Line 2a Shows $93,000 Taxable Amount.  Nothing in line 2b and line 3.  Line 4 shows $18,600 Federal Income Tax Withheld.  Nothing in Line 5 or 6.  Line 7 only shows a Distribution Code of 7 and nothing in the IRA/SEP/Simple.  Nothing in line 8 thru 11. Line 12 shows $0.00 State Tax Withheld. Line 13 shows my New Jersey State Payer's # and Line 14 shows $0.00 for State Distribution.

My questions is that not all of the $93,000 is earnings. The contributions where taxed with my wages earned.  Why does my NJ State Tax Return Show the full $93,000 as taxable income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you contributed to the plan with after-tax money, then you should talk to the plan administrator to request a corrected Form 1099-R.  

The 1099-R that you described is indicating that the full amount of the distribution is taxable.  If a portion was not taxable, then box 2a would be checked and/or an amount would be included in box 9a or b.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
msoccio

The $93,000 I received is Taxed for Federal purposes.  It is the state that I have a question on.  My 1099-R shows a state distribution of$0.00 but the total of $93,000 is reflected in pension earnings on my New Jersey state return.  What do I need to do in turbo tax so that this income is not reflected on my New Jersey state tax return?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Just because it was not included in Box 14 does not mean it is not taxable to NJ. 

NJ Income Tax – Retirement Income. If you are a New Jersey resident, your pensions, annuities, and certain IRA withdrawals are taxable and must be reported on your New Jersey tax return.

NJ retirement

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies