Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luvalle17

Price increased for state efile

We live in California and bought the Turbotax Deluxe. This includes 5 free federal efiles and 5 state efiles for 19.99 each. However, if you read the fine print it states this fee is subject to change. Apparently, if you file before February  29, 2020 you can do the state efiles for 19.99 each. After this date the price increases. As of today, 03/03/2020, the price went up to 24.99. I personally think this is unfair and they should be more specific on the box. Who knows how much more the state efile will increase to....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Early bird discounts end each year around the beginning of March, as they did this time.  The state e-file will stay at $24.99 for the remainder of the tax season now.  To avoid that fee, print, sign, and mail the state returns instead of e-filing them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Debfre2

I find the increase ridiculous. Next year I’ll use irs.gov and file free. I’ve used TurboTax for over 15 years. Not anymore. The software says $19.99 for state and then you bait and switch for $24.99. My last year I’d buying and using this product. 

Where on the packaging does it say the $19.99 is an early bird pricing. If I had known I would have completed my taxes in February. Totally deceptive pricing.

Bulovaboy

The Price increase from last year is completely ridiculous, especially now that it can be downloaded.  more then $20 shame on you guys.  Once the template is in place it's just a matter of updating some lines every year if even that.  

I'm Highly disappointed that you guys are ripping of the people especially at this time when most of the people have no income because of covid.  shame on you-rice gouging at a time like this. 

Bulovaboy

Lucille, sorry that was meant for them not you. 

Price increased again this year, 2021, for e-filing states. Yesterday was $20.00, today, $25.00. I personally feel this is absolutely ridiculous as Turbo Tax JUST updated some of the forms needed to file!!! Since taxpayers weren't even allowed to file before February 12 this year, you would think Turbo Tax would take that delay into consideration!! I normally prepay for e-filing my states but because I wasn't sure I could e-file one of the state this year as I have to attach another form, I waited. The wait cost me. Sigh....

Chuckles37
Returning Member

I did not know about the price bump in 2020, but it is in existence today.  I filed on March 1 and TTax said $20 for state and Intuit charged me $25.

The Early Bird special pricing did in fact expire at the end of February.  Next year, you can pay the TT fees early, and wait to file until you are ready. That's what I do every year.

Every March the early prices expire and increase.  In the Desktop CD/Download program the State Efile fee is $20 but increases to 25.

But there will be a delay in Desktop program between March 1 when the price goes up and the next time the program update comes out, usually on Thursdays.  It will show the $20 price but you be charged 25.

I normally prepay the e-file fee also but this year I have to attach a required form to one of the states I file in. I am still not sure I can scan the form and attach it to the state return file if I e-file. Waiting for an answer.... 

@Debfre2 

It's free to file your FEDERAL taxes. It only charges for the state so it's no advantage to go to irs.gov

REGARDING THE STATE E-FILING FEE:  I’m reading that some people on this message thread have said that in order to pay the lower price of $20 state e-file fee instead of the $25 fee, how can I pay it early and then hold off actually e-filing it later on ?  Next year, how would I “prepay” the state filing fee early (California).??  Thanks and blessings....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies