turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pennsylvania—from which I moved last year—now wants me to show that I paid another state’s income tax. But I moved to Florida, where there’s no income tax. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Pennsylvania—from which I moved last year—now wants me to show that I paid another state’s income tax. But I moved to Florida, where there’s no income tax. What do I do?

call the phone number on the notice and ask. if no phone number search the web for the PA dept of revenue general phone number 

TomD8
Level 15

Did you claim a credit on your PA return for taxes paid to another state?  Normally that is the only reason they would ask for proof of taxes paid to another state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I emailed the state department of revenue, and they said I should “provide a Written Statement explaining your residency and provide your FL Drivers License, Lease or Mortgage and utility bill verifying address.”

Your Florida driver's license should have a date of issuance so send PA a copy of that.

@DavidROsborne wrote:

I emailed the state department of revenue, and they said I should “provide a Written Statement explaining your residency and provide your FL Drivers License, Lease or Mortgage and utility bill verifying address.”

OK, I think what PA really wants you to do is to establish that you are no longer considered a "resident" of PA.  This is a key concept called "domicile."  Your domicile is your true and permanent home.  There is no single test to prove where your domicile is, it is a combination of many factors, and the PA web site does a very good job of describing it.

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/PAPersonalIncomeTaxGuide/Pages/Brief-Overview-Filing...

You can only have one domicile at a time.  It is possible for someone to move without changing their domicile, even for a long period of time.  As long as you are still domiciled in PA, you are considered a PA state resident and owe PA state income tax.

In addition, to establish a new domicile, you must also take active steps to abandon your prior domicile.  This might include selling a home or surrendering a lease, surrendering your state vehicle license plates and registration, establishing a new voter registration (which should invalidate the old one), telling your doctor and dentist to send your records to your new provider in your new state, and so on.

PA wants you to prove that you are not domiciled in PA--that you have abandoned your PA domicile and established a new FL domicile, and that your move to Florida is not temporary or transient.  So send them appropriate proofs according to the PA definition of domicile that I linked to above. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies