Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessicamvaughn
Returning Member

Part-Year City Itemized Deductions--NYC

Hi,

The system shows the Federal Amount--Taxes You Paid (redacted) and asks about the NYC resident portion, is this the amount on the W-2 box 19? 

And for Interest You Paid (redacted), NYC Resident Portion--I purchased a home out of state prior to leaving NYC, do I need to account for the Mortgage Interest paid while still living in NYC? 

2023-04-17_15-21-13.png

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The taxes you paid come from your federal return. It would include both New York and New York City tax withheld (W-2 boxes 17 and 19) and any state or city tax paid in 2022 for amounts you owed when you filed your 2021 return, plus any estimated state and city estimated tax payments and real estate, personal property and foreign taxes.

You can claim mortgage interest and property tax paid on an out-of-state home while you still lived in New York.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jessicamvaughn
Returning Member

I'm not clear on what I should enter in the NYC Resident portion. The system did calculate the Federal Amount, not sure if box 17 & 19 go in the fillable box. Thanks!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

What you put in the Taxes Your Paid box depends on where you moved after you left New York City. NYC only taxes residents, so all of Box 19 would generally go into New York City Resident Portion. 

If you continued to live or work in New York state, you’d have to split Box 17 between your residency and non-residency period.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies