Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajaure

How to get credit for excess ca sdi

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

When the sum of two or more employers SDI withholding on W-2s entered in TT/federal exceeds $939 then TT/Calif will compute the credit for you.

If more than $939.40 SDI was withheld by one employer then you don't get a credit for that. You can't enter more than that in the W-2 and you must recover the excess withheld from that employer.

cpt11gs

I had a total of $1142 of SDI withheld from two employers as shown on the W2's.  When I enter that data into TurboTax, it does not calculate the credit.  If I manually enter the credit on the W2, it won't let me e-file.  How do I get around this?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Are you entering the CASDI in W-2 Box 14 and properly labeling it as "CASDI" or "Calif SDI" or whatever the choice is?
cpt11gs

Yes, I double checked that, and in the W2 Summary form, it does show $1142 for CA SDI.
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

If you are using a Desktop version of TT use Forms mode to open the Calif "Excess SDI Wks" and make sure the total SDI is in line 1. Line 3 should be the excess and the credit amount. Online versions don't have Forms mode.
I just did a quick test and the excess SDI credit happened automatically as it does for everyone else. There might be something unusual about the W-2s such that TT/Calif can't get the correct total SDI withheld.
cpt11gs

On the SDI worksheet, I had checked the box for two more more employers, and then the $998 amount shows up on line 2, but line 1 is still empty.  And it must pull only from the W2s, since I can't enter anything in line 1, so then of course line 3 is blank also.  So this is where the issue is, I just don't know why TT won't pull over the data.
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

cpteague - (I have to use an Answer to attach a screenshot)

See the attached screenshot for how TT/Calif expects CA SDI to look like on the federal W-2 worksheet.

cpt11gs

That's how mine looks, but I when I go into the excess SDI worksheet, I get a message that says "Based on wage information from your federal return, you have a credit of zero for excess SDI...".  I think it's getting confused between gross income and taxable income.  I had the max withheld for 401K, and SDI is taken out before that.  But evidently TT thinks I didn't make enough to have excess SDI, which is true if you look at only taxable income, but SDI comes out of the gross, so I was passed the SDI income limit.
morowulf

I am attempting to use turbotax online to file my 2019 federal and California state income tax and I had excess California SDI withheld because of a change of employers late in the year.  When entering both of my W2s, I entered CASDI in the description box 14 and selected CA SDI tax from the pull down menu.    However, the online software does not seem to automatically detect the excess withholding for me.    How can I claim the excess SDI withholding using the online software?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If any single employer withheld more than 1% you can request a refund directly from them.  Otherwise you must file tax return to get refund, there is no separate form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing an issue which I want to believe more faced in the past, I changed jobs during 2019 and both of my employers were using the same benefits and payroll company called TriNet.

Now the problem is that TriNet can only provide me one W2 because I technically work for them, but what they had to do also during 2019 when I changed my employer is to reset my CA SDI which caused me to deduce more than what I needed. 

Now, TriNet are saying they can't refund me but my accountant can't submit the taxes because it won't let him fill in any excess CA SDI contribution with only one W2. 

Anyone knows what I can do in this situation? 

SD_CA

Hi,

I am facing same problem with Trinet for both Social Security taxes and SDI. How did you handle this situation?

llthepixiesll
Returning Member

Where is the screenshoot

Is there anyone to answer this question??  Different year, but same issue.  Trinet will not refund, and I have access CA SDI and FICA withheld between two companies that used Trinet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies