Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mollyjani

Had taxes taken out for the wrong state. How do I file for it if i never lived or made money there?

I live and work in Virginia. When i got my W-2, it turns out they had me paying taxes into North Carolina. I have never lived nor worked there. How do I file for a non resident state return if I never actually made money there?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SherekaB

Had taxes taken out for the wrong state. How do I file for it if i never lived or made money there?

I would suggest getting a corrected W-2 from your employer instead of filing a non resident state return just to be safe. It may have just been a printing error..... 

If this is not the case then you will have to do the non resident return first. You will do a nonresident return with North Carolina and indicate that no income is North Carolina source income.  You will enter your W-2 exactly as it is reported to you with the North Carolina wages and withholding. Make sure you prepare all nonresident returns before your resident state return, to ensure proper calculations.

DO NOT PREPARE YOUR RESIDENT RETURN FIRST: NON RESIDENT RETURN TO BE PREPARED FIRST

Nonresident income is income from another state you didn't live in during the year, and includes any of the following:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895920-why-would-i-have-to-file-a-nonresident-state-return

• Wages or income from a state you're not a resident of,
  • Rental income, gambling winnings, or sold a home for a profit in a state you're not a resident of,
  • S Corporation business shareholder income from a business in another state,
  • You are a partner in an out-of-state partnership,
  • You are a beneficiary of a trust or estate that has an interest in another state, or
  • Your employer withheld state tax for the wrong state. Under most circumstances, you’ll have to file a nonresident return to recover the incorrectly-withheld taxes.
    Notify your employer right away so it doesn't happen again!

How to file:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return

mollyjani

It wasn't a printing error. They looked into my pay and did verify that i had been paying the wrong state tax.
SherekaB

Ok. well you will need to do a non resident return. You will have to do the non resident return first. You will do a nonresident return with North Carolina and indicate that no income is North Carolina source income.  You will enter your W-2 exactly as it is reported to you with the North Carolina wages and withholding. Make sure you prepare all nonresident returns before your resident state return, to ensure proper calculations.
SherekaB

I have put more information in the original post for you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies