TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3527 people found this useful

Why would I have to file a nonresident state return?

Generally, you’ll need to file a nonresident state return if you made money from sources in a state you don’t live in. Some examples are:

  • Wages or income you earned while working in that state;
  • Out-of-state rental income, gambling winnings, or profits from property sales;
  • S Corporation or partnership income;
  • Beneficiary income from a trust or estate;
  • For active duty military: non-military income earned outside your state of legal residence;
  • If your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state. More info

You don't need to report interest income from an out-of-state bank account on a nonresident return.  It only needs to be reported on your federal and resident state return.

Every state has its own rules regarding nonresident returns. For example, nonresidents with more than $33 in Pennsylvania-sourced income must file a return, while nonresidents with less than $600 in Missouri income don't have to file. If you're not sure, your best bet is to contact the Department of Revenue in that state, or visit their website. Most state websites have a section devoted to nonresidents and part-year residents.

Note: If the other state happens to be Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming, you won't be able to file a nonresident return because those states don't collect income tax. However, you'll still need to report that income on your resident state return (assuming your resident state collects income tax) as well as your federal return.