Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Oak Ridge Associated Universities stipend

I did an internship with Oak Ridge Associated Universities and received a Statement of Payment Letter that has the EIN and taxable amount. Where do I enter this information? The following statement from ORAU is confusing:
Because participants are not employees, stipend payments are not considered wages and should not be reported as such. Stipend payments are payments made to you in order to help defray living expenses while you are engaged in a research participation program at the CDC. For IRS purposes, these payments are considered non-qualified scholarships and fellowships (not tuition and fees).
1 Reply
New Member

Oak Ridge Associated Universities stipend

A stipend of this kind is normally not tax free (excludable from gross income), unless you are a candidate for a degree at an eligible educational institution, and the amount is also used toward the payment of tuition.  If your stipend letter indicates that Oak Ridge views the payments as a non-qualified scholarship or fellowship, then that's a strong indication that they're telling you (the recipient) that this is otherwise taxable income.

It is also true that this sort of income is not quite the same as regular wages, which is why you don't have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes on it.  But, nevertheless, it is still taxable as ordinary income, and should (legally) therefore be reported on your tax return.

At this point I will respectfully refer you over to another AnswerXchange question thread where we discuss the taxation of a PhD student who received income in the same taxable classification / category as you have.  You will want to read that information; and you will want to report your income in the same manner as described there:

With respect to the mechanical instructions for entering the necessary income data in TurboTax, a link is given there (at the other question-and-answer thread).  But, for convenience, we will also repost it here for you in this answer:

This should explain what to do, and how to do it in TurboTax

However, if you have further questions, encounter any difficulties, or just want to speak with a live tax expert who can walk you through your TurboTax entries (including the ability to screen-share with your computer), please feel free to contact us.  We would be happy to help you (and as a paying TurboTax customer, the call is free to you).  Here is a link where you can create a support ticket and reach us:

Thanks for asking this.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings