NYS 1099-R box14 says exempt and box16 says NY

Felix10

Fed Return: Turbo Tax says to leave box 16 blank if the 1099-R says exempt in box  16. However box 16 on 1099-R says NY. 1099-R box 14 says exempt.  Both box 14 and 16 on Turbo Tax say to enter a number if anything is entered. I can leave box 14 blank but if I leave both boxes blank the amount from box 2a fills in box 16.

State Return: Bottom line is Turbo Tax is calculating an amount owed to New York State, a sizable one, and I am a retired New York State employee and am supposed to be exempt from paying New York State taxes on both pension and social security.

So whatever is being carried over  to the state return is incorrect and causing an amount owed to New York State. How can I correct this ?

LenaH

If your 1099-R is exempt, please leave Box 14-16 empty when inputting your pension into TurboTax. In addition, please make sure that you picked the correct classification if your 1099-R is fully exempt

If using TurboTax desktop software, you can follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Personal Income, under the Personal tab.
  3. Click Edit next to the 1099-R you want to correct.
  4. Enter the information as shown on your 1099-R. 
  5. Answer the questions on the next two screens.
  6. Make sure the correct source of your 1099-R is selected. In addition, keep the NYS distribution amount as the full pension distribution. It will be shown as deducted fully on a later screen.
  7. Click on From a qualified plan on the screen Was this distribution from a qualified plan?
  8. Answer the required minimum distribution questions on the next screen.
  9. Finish answering the questions about your 1099-R.
  10. Once you are back to your federal 1099-R summary screen, click on State Taxes tab above. 
  11. Click on Edit for New York.
  12. The next screen should be your pension summary screen and will show your pension fully deducted.

If using TurboTax online, please follow these steps:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search 1099-R in the search box.
  3. Click the Jump to 1099-R on the top of the search results. 
  4. Add a 1099-R if you haven't already or click Edit next to the 1099-R you want to correct.
  5. Enter the information as shown on your 1099-R. 
  6. Answer the questions on the next screens.
  7. Make sure the correct source of your 1099-R is selected. 
  8. Answer the on-screen instructions. 
  9. Once complete, click on State on the left hand side. 
  10. Edit your resident return.
  11. Continue until you get to the page You Just Finished Your New York Return.
  12. Click on Start or Update to Adjustments to Federal Income under Changes to Federal Income
  13. Click on Received Retirement Income under Wage and retirement adjustments.
  14. Click continue.
  15. Enter the pension exclusion, if not already populated.
  16. Click continue.
  17. Your deduction should show as zero amount taxable to NYS on the Pension Deduction Summary page. 

​​​​​​

Felix10

I am using TT Premier. 

I didn't mention that in my original post.

Felix10

I left TT boxed 14 through 16 blank. It didn't work. 

I selected "none of the above" as the classification. Maybe that is the problem. 

What is my classification ? I was never in deferred compensation.

LenaH

Your boxes for your 1099-R should look exactly as the picture I have posted below. 

Now, on the following page titled, Where is your distribution from?, are you selecting Retirement distributions from: New York State

Your pension income is not taxable in New York State when it is paid by New York State or the local government. By classifying it as "None of the above", it will flow to your state return as taxable. 

Next, click on State and continue through the screens until you get to Changes to Federal Income. Click Start next to Received Retirement Income.

Continue through the screens and your full pension will be excluded under Government Pension.

Hopefully these screenshots provide the guidance you need to complete your return. Please comment if you are having any further issues. 

@Felix10

Felix10

Problem solved.. I corrected the retirement distribution.

Thanks to all

PATM1957

I am a little confused. The 1099-R is from NYS & local Employer Retirement Systems. I entered the information as the form has it, removed everything in boxes 14-16 as stated. The source I used "other pensions of New York State or governments". It went from owing 204 to getting 1550 from New York State. It is exempt from New York State Tax. I'm just not sure I chose the right source. If I use 457 it has the person I am doing taxes for owing. Any suggestions. Scoured the internet to see if I have the source correct or not.

LenaH

If it is a pension from NYS or local governments and states exempt on the 1099-R, then you would mark the first option as shown in the picture I posted above. If you do not choose the correct option, then the NYS return will most likely default to only deducting up to $20,000 from the state tax return. This would create the difference in tax as you have described. 

Per New York State, qualified pension benefits or distributions received by officers and employees of the United States, New York State, and local governments within New York State, are exempt from New York State, New York City, and Yonkers income taxes. 

@PATM1957

PATM1957

Hi 

Sorry again to be a bother with this, but I don't think it is set up correctly yet, perhaps I am reading wrong. I have entered 3 1099-R's. See the screen print below. The $21,300 & the $5360 are NOT Exempt from NYS Taxes. The $35,651 IS EXEMPT. 

A448853C-54D6-499E-B361-78265B43B59C_4_5005_c.jpeg

I selected this for the source as you suggested and that's where the $1050 tax refund came from. I also put in the FULL amount in box 1, not the from 2a.

26B54349-51FE-452B-83FF-AFFE00BF2F8F.jpeg

But I think it is still not correct. I see a $20,000 state deduction, not the 35,650.56. See below. Any help would be welcomed! thank you!

0439E8D4-3757-4591-9D28-4A80C2381CF3_4_5005_c.jpeg

LenaH

If your $35,651 pension is exempt, then it would be deducted as a government pension (as shown in the third picture you attached on Line 2). 

The other two pensions, totaling $26,600, are not fully exempt. If this is for a different taxpayer (spouse of the taxpayer who had the exempt pension), then up to $20,000 can be deducted. Per NYS, taxpayers over age 59 1/2 can deduct up to $20,000 of certain federal, NY state or local government pensions and certain IRAs on their New York return.

The math for this calculation is correct as $62,200- $35,540 - $20,000 = $6,660. 

Please see Publication 36 for more information. 

@PATM1957