Form IT-213 is Claim for Empire State Child Credit. You may be entitled to a credit of up to $1,000 for each child listed on your tax return. It should be filled out automatically based on your entries in TurboTax.
Are you claiming children on your tax return?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I never had to deal with this before and don't understand it. It says that i must obtain an update for I file my state return in order to ensure that all calculations are correct. To receive an update select "check for updates" from the online menu to connect to our website.
I tried to do this and the steps that i took did not help and got me nowhere, Please help what can i do to be able to finish filing my state return.
The Empire State child credit, taken on Form 213, is available to full-year New York State residents who have at least one qualifying child (defined below) and meet certain income limitations. The credit amount allowed is 33% of the portion of the federal child tax credit and additional child tax credit attributable to qualifying children, or $100 times the number of qualifying children, whichever is greater.
To be a qualifying child, the following must be true:
- A qualifying child for purposes of the New York State Empire State child credit is a child who: is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew),
- Was at least four but less than 17 years old on December 31, 2021,
- Did not provide over half of his or her own support for 2021,
- Lived with you for more than half of 2021,
- Is claimed as a dependent on your federal income tax return,
- Does not file a joint federal income tax return for 2021 (or files it only to claim a refund of withholding or estimated tax paid), and
- Was a citizen, national, or resident alien of the United States.
As FangxiaL asked previously, do you have a dependent claimed on your return that qualifies you for this credit?
I have this same error, and twice have spent hours on the phone with TurboTax help to no solution. I have manually calculated the necessary forms and worksheets and the data in TurboTax is all correct, but it just loops on saying there is an error. There is clearly a coding glitch in the TurboTax system. Unfortunately, it's preventing me from e-filing my state return, and though I've been a long-time customer, I will not be back if there's not some resolution immediately.