thegiovannifvale

NY state review insists that I need IT-213 form to complete my return. This is not a form that is sent to you. You should be filling it out for me. How do we fix this?

ThomasM125

Form IT-213 is Claim for Empire State Child Credit. You may be entitled to a credit of up to $1,000 for each child listed on your tax return. It should be filled out automatically based on your entries in TurboTax.

Are you claiming children on your tax return?

lionsangel0723

I never had to deal with this before and don't understand it. It says that i must obtain an update for I file my state return in order to ensure that all calculations are correct. To receive an update select "check for updates" from the online menu to connect to our website. 

I tried to do this and the steps that i took did not help and got me nowhere, Please help what can i do to be able to finish filing my state return.

FangxiaL

Please clarify if you have a dependent claimed on your return that qualifies you for the Empire State Child Credit.

@lionsangel0723

LenaH

The Empire State child credit, taken on Form 213, is available to full-year New  York State residents who have at least one qualifying child (defined below) and meet certain income limitations. The credit amount allowed is 33% of the portion of the federal child tax credit and additional child tax credit attributable to qualifying children, or $100 times the number of qualifying children, whichever is greater. 

To be a qualifying child, the following must be true:

• A qualifying child for purposes of the New York State Empire State child credit is a child who: is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew),
  • Was at least four but less than 17 years old on December 31, 2021,
  • Did not provide over half of his or her own support for 2021,
  • Lived with you for more than half of 2021,
  • Is claimed as a dependent on your federal income tax return,
  • Does not file a joint federal income tax return for 2021 (or files it only to claim a refund of withholding or estimated tax paid), and
  • Was a citizen, national, or resident alien of the United States.

As FangxiaL asked previously, do you have a dependent claimed on your return that qualifies you for this credit? 

@lionsangel0723

joshuajscheid

I have this same error, and twice have spent hours on the phone with TurboTax help to no solution. I have manually calculated the necessary forms and worksheets and the data in TurboTax is all correct, but it just loops on saying there is an error. There is clearly a coding glitch in the TurboTax system. Unfortunately, it's preventing me from e-filing my state return, and though I've been a long-time customer, I will not be back if there's not some resolution immediately.

lionsangel0723

I finally gave up on help and just redid my state so cleared it ans started over. Then you can finish w- filing.

joshuajscheid

THANK YOU!  Worked for me as well. That was a much easier solution than the hours I wasted on it with customer service.