NY State - must efile, but cannot

NY State - must efile, but cannot

New York State requires, by law, that I must efile. However, I cannot and receive this message:

E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Make sure to mail your return by your state's due date.
Filing your return on paper is not recommended. If it is necessary to file a paper return, do not write on the return. Only signatures are allowed. Other handwritten information will not be used in tax computation or for processing your return.

I have done a review, and everything is "good to go." When I download the return, it says again that I have to efile. But I do not have this option. I don't know what the 'tax situation' is  that is causing this to happen b/c my taxes are very basic. There is no info given. 

NY State - must efile, but cannot

New York requires you to e-file if you meet all three of the following requirements:

1. You use software to prepare your return
  2. Your software allows you to electronically file your return
  3. You have internet access

Since you are receiving a message that your New York return has a form that cannot be electronically filed, you cannot electronically file your New York return (thereby not meeting #2 above).  Therefore, you do not meet all 3 requirements mentioned on the New York Department of Taxation website.  See the following link:

NY Electronic filing requirement

You can try to use the New York website to e-file if you meet their requirements as listed on the link above.

Otherwise, you can mail your returns in.  Please see the link below for mailing address.

New York mailing address

It is also possible that you simply have a tax form that has not been released for electronic filing yet.  Please see the attached link for the release dates for the New York forms to determine if this is potentially why you are unable to electronically file yet.  If this is the case, you may just need to wait a few more days to file.

New York Form release schedule

NY State - must efile, but cannot

Thanks for the answer!

I am still a bit confused as to why this is happening. 

1) My form (IT-201) is available

2) And I meet all these requirements 

1. You use software to prepare your return YES, TURBO TAX (OBV)
  2. Your software allows you to electronically file your return (I'VE ALWAS USED TURBO TAX AND ALWAYS FILED ONLINE)
  3. You have internet access (YES!)

Is it possible there is something wrong with Turbo Tax? There is no explanation as to why I can not do this and all the info you provided (thanks!!!), does not apply. 

NY State - must efile, but cannot

Is it possible there are some other forms listed on the site provided above are included on your tax return this year but are not available for filing yet?  This could be another reason for the electronic filing rejection message.

It may be beneficial to wait until February 12th to try submitting your tax returns.  As the tax returns will not be electronically filed by this date for your federal return or New York return, any issues with forms causing the delay and errors may be rectified by this date.

NY State - must efile, but cannot

Thank you for the answers. I logged on to try to submit electronically and I still can not. The error is "

E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Make sure to mail your return by your state's due date." but there is no reason as to what my tax situation is. I find it odd b/c our taxes are very boring. We do not have any unusual things. 

NY State - must efile, but cannot

You are most likely having trouble e-filing your NYS return due to Form IT-2, which is a summary of your W-2 wages. Since the IT-2 form is unsupported in TurboTax, you are not required to e-file.

Per NYS, you're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• You use software to prepare your own personal income tax return
  • Your software supports the electronic filing of your return
  • You have broadband Internet access

You are qualified to mail in your return because your software does not support electronic filing of this form. 

There is no penalty for mailing in your return. 

If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 61000

ALBANY NY 12261-0001

If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER

PO BOX 15555

ALBANY NY 12212-5555

@cms1976

NY State - must efile, but cannot

Thank you for this answer. Do you know if this is new that TurboTax does not support the form? I have always submitted online before this, so perhaps it is? Thanks!

Employee TurboTax Specialist

NY State - must efile, but cannot

@cms1976 Yes, I believe this is new this year, according to the NY link below:

Enhanced Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return