Solved: Not paying state taxes for 6 hours residency...

Not paying state taxes for 6 hours residency...

I travelled to Georgia on New Year's Eve. I literally only 'lived' there for about the last 6 hours of 2016. I am NOT paying $37 for that!!! I moved back to WI mid-February, cause that tiny Bible-belt town wasn't hiring non-locals like me. It was an "extended visit", not a move. Never got a job in GA, didn't change my address. As far as the government is concerned, it was a very very poor vacation. I've only ever LIVED in Wisconsin, so that's the only state I'll be paying taxes for.

You are correct in deleting the Georgia return.  You do not need to file Georgia because you had no income there.  In addition, if you didn't earn any money in Georgia with the few months you were there, you will not need to file a Georgia return next year, either.  You will file a Wisconsin resident return for 2017 if all of your income is earned while living in Wisconsin.  

Have you paid and filed already?

Nope. Just edited profile to remove GA entirely. I had NO INCOME in GA, so there's no reason to pay income tax for GA. I am not alive solely for Uncle Sam to make a buck off me.