turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to mail in a VA return if I don't owe any taxes? I live in DC so have reciprocity.

When the system generated my return form, there was only 1 page w/ instructions for me (so I'd be mailing nothing essentially).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Do I need to mail in a VA return if I don't owe any taxes? I live in DC so have reciprocity.

No. With reciprocity, you don't pay taxes to VA nor file a VA return.

You would only file with VA if you had VA taxes withheld in error, or had non-reciprocal income like a business or rental property there.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No. With reciprocity, you don't pay taxes to VA nor file a VA return.

You would only file with VA if you had VA taxes withheld in error, or had non-reciprocal income like a business or rental property there.

Thanks ChristinaS! Does this mean I was wrongfully charged for filing in VA by TurboTax? If so, I can go ahead and request a refund for that.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not necessarily wrongfully. You are given options to remove state, as Turbo Tax tries to alert people about reciprocity. If you feel you didn't see these prompts, request support by phone. Just not today. Call tomorrow or later in the week. We can't access account issues or any of your personal data in this public chat, and you will wait hours on the phone today.

Ok, sounds good. Yep I felt it was misleading because it asked me "Did you work in this state?" with no support text about how to answer it if you have reciprocity, so I was confused as to how to answer it. Thanks for the heads up! I will call in a week or so.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies