turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gettavdub

Non-resident State returns

I live in Maryland and work in Virginia, but my Spouse lives and works in Maryland. Do I need to file a Virginia state return (Married filing jointly or separately ) if taxes were already witheld in Maryland? Or do I not need to file a return at all (with Virginia).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No- you don't need to file a Virginia tax return. VA and MD are reciprocal states. If you live in one and work in the other, you only file taxes in your resident state.

Did you have VA taxes withheld? If VA taxes were withheld, you would have to file with VA just to get that back. You would then have to ensure that the VA withholding stopped ASAP.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No- you don't need to file a Virginia tax return. VA and MD are reciprocal states. If you live in one and work in the other, you only file taxes in your resident state.

Did you have VA taxes withheld? If VA taxes were withheld, you would have to file with VA just to get that back. You would then have to ensure that the VA withholding stopped ASAP.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies