Elane_L

Non resident Massachusetts

I work in Mass, and live in New Hampshire with my spouse (who works in NH). I would like to file my federal taxes jointly, and my Massachusetts taxes married but separately, since only my income is taxed in Mass. I cannot seem to find information on if I can do this or not. Does anyone know? Thank you!

TomD8

Non resident Massachusetts

MA law permits married non-residents to file their MA return as either MFJ or MFS.  The choice is yours.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/draft-2019-form-1-nrpy-instructions/download

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
SusanY1

Non resident Massachusetts

Yes, you can (and should) file your Massachusetts return separately from your spouse.

The TurboTax CD/Download product (found HERE) is the preferred product to file your federal return jointly, and your state return separately.   

Here is how to do this in TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Prepare your joint federal return in TurboTax as you normally would.  If you file jointly in New Hampshire, prepare that return as well. 
  2. Prepare a mock Married Filing Separately (MFS) federal return for each spouse who will file separately in any state.  You will not file these federal returns, but they will be used to create the state returns.
  3. For the separate return, include only the income and deductions that apply to Massachusetts. 
  4. File your joint federal return as prepared in the joint file.
  5. If filing jointly in New Hampshire, transmit this return with your federal file.  
  6. Using the mock MFS file that you have now created, file ONLY the Massachusetts return.  You may have to print and mail this return when filing it separately from your federal return.