Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdaz
Level 1

Non-Arizona municipal interest incorrect

After entering the numbers from my 1099-DIV in the federal q&a section, I was able to divide the Exempt Interest Dividends from my municipal bond fund into the amount that was for Arizona municipal bonds and the amount that was for all other states.  However, on the Arizona state tax return, it pulled over the total amount, not the amount that is for all other states.  I have confirmed that I chose Arizona state and that the amounts add up correctly.  And I have deleted and re-entered my Arizona state tax return.  Is there a way to correct this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Open your return and navigate to Federal, Income and Expenses, Dividends on Form 1099-DIV and click on Review.

Click Review next to the Dividend with the Arizona Municipal Bond Interest.  Verify the box My form has info in other boxes (this is uncommon) is checked.

Verify box 11 has the total of exempt dividends and box 13 has Arizona selected from the drop down box. Click Continue.  Check the box None of these apply. on the next page and click Continue.

On the Tell us more about your exempt-interest dividends screen, verify Arizona and each of the states with the exempt interest dividends is listed with the appropriate amount totaling the amount of dividends entered earlier.

Click Continue.  Click Done.

Now navigate to the black margin on the left of the screen to State, click Continue.

Click Continue until you reach the Arizona Municipal Interest screen.  Verify the total amount of non-Arizona exempt-dividend interest. If correct, click Continue.

On the Provide Schedule of Non-Arizona Municipal Interest screen enter all the non-Arizona exempt dividend interest.

This should confirm all your exempt dividend interest is entered and accounted for correctly in TurboTax.

sdaz
Level 1

Thank you @JeffreyR77 !

I followed your advice, changing my original entry so that it said Arizona in box 13 on my 1099-DIV.  Unfortunately that didn't work.   So I tried deleting the 1099-DIV and re-entering it, and that worked!

I really appreciate your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies