turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I have been advised to submit a joint federal return and a separate state return because my wife works in RI and lives in MA w/ me. Do ALL states allow this?

TurboTax has advised me to do this, and they even have a FAQ about it (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901214-how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-separate-state...), and there is no note that says to make sure that the states you're filing in will allow this. It makes me think it's a general rule that a couple can file a joint federal return and separate state returns. I want to finish my taxes but want to double check that RI and MA will allow me to submit a separate state return even though we filed a federal joint return! Thanks 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

My wife and I have been advised to submit a joint federal return and a separate state return because my wife works in RI and lives in MA w/ me. Do ALL states allow this?

No, all states do not allow this, and the general rules is that you must use the same filing status on the federal return and the state returns. However, both RI and MA do allow a different filing status than what is used on the federal return, under certain circumstances. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies