Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New York Form IT-196 Error

I have contacted support several times and the support staff has not been advised when this error is to be fixed. Many did not even know of it. This prevents one from filing for NY even though Intuit has collected funds from users. Please, at least, pay us the courtesy of letting us know when this issue will be resolved. Or, advise of a work around. At least change the error message which directs one to a solution that does not exist. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@BruceWilson1

Thank you so much for sharing this experience.  We are aware of this situation and are currently researching a resolution.  Please check back in a day or so to see if this has been resolved.  If you are still unable to file, please post here for the next steps.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No fix to NY IT-196 of this writing. Fees have been paid yet one cannot file NYS taxes. Please provide a definitive answer other than, “We are working on it.”  Thank you.

IT-196 not being available is not a turbo tax issue. Other tax programs will have the same issue.  February 17th is the date the remaining NY forms that need to be updated in Turbo Tax will be .

That is the first I’ve heard of it. At least it is a definitive answer.  I do not recall a question about other tax programs, I’m only concerned about Turbo Tax. So I am clear, in deciphering what you said, the form will be uploaded and available by February 17th. Is this correct? Thank you.

I was just explaining that is was not a Turbo Tax issue but a New York issue.

thassiak

As of April 5, 2022 this is still an issue with TurboTax. 

I am able to go to https://www.tax.ny.gov and download a fillable pdf Form IT-196 as well as IT-201 tax return form.  So New York State is not the problem.  TurboTax has a bug that no one is able to use it to itemize a New York State return.

I need to file New York Form IT-196 and cannot find it in my updated version of TurboTax Premier. Please advise.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Based on the current forms availability list, Form IT-196 is not supported in the Turbo Tax software. You may find a copy of this form on NY State Department of Taxation and Finance website @ChrisVicar.

Is it possible to integrate and attach the downloaded IT-196 with my return? Or do I need to file on paper.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The form is actually available on Turbo Tax, as it is the form for itemized deductions. 

Please follow the instructions here to manually update the software. Once updated, please try to file the return once more. 

Please let us know if this does not work. @ChrisVicar 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies