Solved: My VA state won't accept full dependent care amoun...

icedteagirl

My VA state won't accept full dependent care amount of 8k with error "Cannot be larger than federal", only accepts the federal credit of 600

Is this right? My Virginia state return says to add the amount of dependent care expenses, which for us was over $8000. I add this into the state return, but when checking the return, I get an error saying that the amount can't be larger than the amount on the federal return. I put this same amount, $8000, into the federal return, but after that, the federal return shows that I only get the 600$ credit. So then if I put 600 into the state return instead of the full amount of 8000, then I don't get any errors. Am I supposed to just put the credit amount of 600 into the state return? Just want to make sure because there's a big difference in the tax refund and want to make sure I do this right. Thank you! 

ColeenD3

Child and Dependent Care Expenses -

You may claim this deduction on your Virginia return only if you were eligible to claim a credit for child and dependent care expenses on your federal return. Enter the amount on which the federal credit for child and dependent care is based. This is the amount on federal Form 2441 that is multiplied by the decimal amount - up to $3,000 for one dependent and $6,000 for two or more. DO NOT ENTER THE FEDERAL CREDIT AMOUNT.

VA Child Care Credit

ColeenD3

Child and Dependent Care Expenses -

VA Child Care Credit

icedteagirl

Exactly what I needed. Thank you!