Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husbands w2 does not have a state id number, he lives in ga but works out of TEnnessee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

My husbands w2 does not have a state id number, he lives in ga but works out of TEnnessee

You can enter the number you entered for the Federal EIN or 999999999 for the State ID number. If the program won't accept that many numbers, just start shortening the entry (drop last number) until it does accept the number.

The state employer ID number is really only a bureaucratic convenience for your state's department of revenue; it's simply not an essential element to the correct filing and processing of a valid personal income tax return (either state or federal).  

...OR...try leaving boxes 15, 16, 17 on the W-2 entirely blank.

All that TN income is GA-taxable anyhow.

A state ID number is only needed if State taxes wee withheld.......and TN doesn't tax wages.

Now if GA taxes were withheld for that W-2 , then a GA ID number would be required...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies