Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is a federal civil servant receiving COLA. Is it subject to Hawaii state tax?

We are residents of Hawaii.  When we filed our 2019 income tax return, we seem to remember that we need to adjust the Aggregate Gross Income (AGI) in From N-11 line 8 because of COLA (cost of living adjustment).  I may have accidentally bypassed the question about COLA while working through our 2020 filing and am not sure where or how I should update the information.  Please advise.

Thanks, 

HK808

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

My husband is a federal civil servant receiving COLA. Is it subject to Hawaii state tax?

If the amount in Form W-2, Box 16 (State wages) is larger than Form W-2, Box 1 (Federal wages), TurboTax subtracts the federal wages from the state wages and enters it on Line 8.  It is automatic based on W2 entries- please check your return before you file and let us know if it is not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If the amount in Form W-2, Box 16 (State wages) is larger than Form W-2, Box 1 (Federal wages), TurboTax subtracts the federal wages from the state wages and enters it on Line 8.  It is automatic based on W2 entries- please check your return before you file and let us know if it is not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks very much for the prompt response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies