Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer deducted MD withholding since my old address and employer are from MD but my job is in CA and i lived here for the whole year (almost), what should i do now??

I have old Maryland Address on my W2 but all my other documents have my updated CA address and everything since i lived here for whole year. I moved here for a new job as a contractor but my employer is from MD and deducted MD withholding and address on w2 is from MD as well. What should i do now? please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My employer deducted MD withholding since my old address and employer are from MD but my job is in CA and i lived here for the whole year (almost), what should i do now??

You will have to prepare and file a non-resident/part-year resident MD tax return, in addition to your CA resident/part-year resident return. 

In the state income allocation interviews, you will allocate all of your income to CA, and none to MD. This should result in a full refund of the MD tax withheld.

(You might want to file the MD return first, in order to use the MD refund to pay your CA tax).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You will have to prepare and file a non-resident/part-year resident MD tax return, in addition to your CA resident/part-year resident return. 

In the state income allocation interviews, you will allocate all of your income to CA, and none to MD. This should result in a full refund of the MD tax withheld.

(You might want to file the MD return first, in order to use the MD refund to pay your CA tax).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies