Solved: My company is located in Oregon but I only did work in California, do I file a state for Oregon, California or both? Thanks.

My company is located in Oregon but I only did work in California, do I file a state for Oregon, California or both? Thanks.

If you are self-employed, your income is generally considered to be earned from your 'home office' in your Resident State, no matter where your client is located.

However, if actual work was performed in another state, a Non-Resident return for that state should probably be filed.

Here's more info:

Edited 2/1/19 11:27 AM

It is my small business that I started towards the end of the year, I didn't make a profit so I never paid myself out of the company funds, just left the money in the company bank account.  There were no "withholdings" as my business didn't make any payments to me as the shareholder.

I live in Oregon, but the work which I did through the business was in California.

Here's more info:

Edited 2/1/19 11:27 AM

I added some clarification to my question. I live in Oregon and my business is located in Oregon, but my small business only did a job in California.  I have a registered agent in California so my business is valid to operate there.

If you are self-employed, your income is considered to be earned from your 'home office' in Oregon, even if your client is out of state.  However, that depends on type of work you do, too.  'Consulting' is considered to be done from your home, but if actual work was performed in California, you probably should file a CA Non-Resident Return.  See Edited Answer.

Understood, thanks for the clarifications.