turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My company is located in Oregon but I only did work in California, do I file a state for Oregon, California or both? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

My company is located in Oregon but I only did work in California, do I file a state for Oregon, California or both? Thanks.

If you are self-employed, your income is generally considered to be earned from your 'home office' in your Resident State, no matter where your client is located.

However, if actual work was performed in another state, a Non-Resident return for that state should probably be filed.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5864254

Edited 2/1/19 11:27 AM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It is my small business that I started towards the end of the year, I didn't make a profit so I never paid myself out of the company funds, just left the money in the company bank account.  There were no "withholdings" as my business didn't make any payments to me as the shareholder.

I live in Oregon, but the work which I did through the business was in California.
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you are self-employed, your income is generally considered to be earned from your 'home office' in your Resident State, no matter where your client is located.

However, if actual work was performed in another state, a Non-Resident return for that state should probably be filed.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5864254

Edited 2/1/19 11:27 AM

I added some clarification to my question. I live in Oregon and my business is located in Oregon, but my small business only did a job in California.  I have a registered agent in California so my business is valid to operate there.
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you are self-employed, your income is considered to be earned from your 'home office' in Oregon, even if your client is out of state.  However, that depends on type of work you do, too.  'Consulting' is considered to be done from your home, but if actual work was performed in California, you probably should file a CA Non-Resident Return.  See Edited Answer.

Understood, thanks for the clarifications.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies