turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving Out of the Country

So, I am planning on moving to Scotland either later this year or very early next year. I have many questions, as I know I will still be taxed as an American but I also know there are tax treatise between the US and the UK.

1) What exactly is still taxed in the US (as I will NOT be working in the US at all, indefinitely) but I DO have a bank account I plan on keeping (for the purposes of paying my taxes, in all honesty, but it will have minimal money in it) and I DO have one MyFRS account (it only has like $4,000 in it and it's not currently being paid into so I'm not even sure if it's worth having).  Will I be double-taxed just on my income or on other things?

2) Will I be taxed under the state of Florida as that is where I've lived all my life when I file my taxes? Please keep in mind that I am single, have no dependents, and own no property in Florida.

3) What receipts do I need to keep in the move and for perpetuity when I'm over there so I can continue to file my US taxes?

4) I am going to be working as an RN over there. Does this effect my taxes? As RN's make substantially more money over here than they do over there and I'm not sure if there are any tax breaks for healthcare workers working abroad.

5) I will be gifting my car to friends of mine who desperately need a car. Do I need to do something special on my taxes for this?

6) Will I still be able to use TurboTax or will I have to go to a special tax filer with my mounds of receipts? I've used TurboTax since I started doing taxes and I don't really know another way.

7) If, for whatever reason, the IRS audits me how would that...work? Would I just show them my receipts over a webcam, like...would they send a representative over to mine in Scotland?

😎 If I got a second, PRN job then would that also be taxed or no? I'm assuming that all of my income is taxed but I figured I'd ask this question.

9) Is there anything specific I may need to know if I am renting overseas?

10) Is there anything specific I may need to know if I have 2 jobs overseas?

11) If I give to charity can that be taken off my US taxes as well as my UK taxes, or is that only counted once?

12) If I keep my nursing license in FL and continue to keep it updated so I'm able to work in FL, the money I paid on my CEU's in order to keep it active would still be tax-deductible, correct? Even though I am not working in FL? That is true for my renewal fees for my nursing license, as well?

Any other help would be graciously accepted!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Start by doing a bit of reading ... this is an easy to understand article: https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/blog/expat-taxes-explained-filing-taxes-as-american-uk/

Thanks! This answers questions 8, 9, and 10! I appreciate the information and I had looked up UK tax information but this helps to clarify that there aren't any specifics (for 9 and 10 beyond the foreign housing exclusion tax law) and that I was right about number 8.

Do you know the answers to any of the other questions?

1) What exactly is still taxed in the US (as I will NOT be working in the US at all, indefinitely) but I DO have a bank account I plan on keeping (for the purposes of paying my taxes, in all honesty, but it will have minimal money in it) and I DO have one MyFRS account (it only has like $4,000 in it and it's not currently being paid into so I'm not even sure if it's worth having).  Will I be double-taxed just on my income or on other things?

As a US citizen total WORLDWIDE income is reported on the income tax return even if you worked/lived on Mars.

2) Will I be taxed under the state of Florida as that is where I've lived all my life when I file my taxes? Please keep in mind that I am single, have no dependents, and own no property in Florida.   Not sure if you ever noticed but FL doesn't have a state INCOME tax. 

3) What receipts do I need to keep in the move and for perpetuity when I'm over there so I can continue to file my US taxes?   Keep IRS records for a min of 5 years ... 7 is better. 

4) I am going to be working as an RN over there. Does this effect my taxes? As RN's make substantially more money over here than they do over there and I'm not sure if there are any tax breaks for healthcare workers working abroad.   Make more, report more, pay more.

5) I will be gifting my car to friends of mine who desperately need a car. Do I need to do something special on my taxes for this?    If the value of the car is more than $15K the you need to file a gift tax return form 709 which TT doesn't support.

6) Will I still be able to use TurboTax or will I have to go to a special tax filer with my mounds of receipts? I've used TurboTax since I started doing taxes and I don't really know another way.   You can use TT anywhere in the world you have internet.  However to pay the TT program fee you must have a US Credit/Debit card with a US billing address.  

7) If, for whatever reason, the IRS audits me how would that...work? Would I just show them my receipts over a webcam, like...would they send a representative over to mine in Scotland?   Most audits are done by mail so don't worry about that right now. 

If I got a second, PRN job then would that also be taxed or no? I'm assuming that all of my income is taxed but I figured I'd ask this question.   Back to Q1 ... all income from all sources is reported.  

Now if you qualify you may be able to exclude some/all of your income from being taxed in the US  and/or use the foreign tax credit or deduction.  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

Again, I appreciate your answers. Some of them were a bit smarmy for no reason but I still appreciate them.

1) I was asking for everything. I already understand that income is reportable but I'm talking specifically anything else that I might need to report. Say, MyFRS amount? I wouldn't think, as I'm not putting any monies into this. This is basically my retirement account.

2) I have, indeed, noticed that Florida doesn't have a state income tax. I'm wondering if I would still be taxed under Florida if I have nothing tying me to Florida. What's to stop them from taxing me under Idaho, is my question, here. Would I even fill this part out? I have a bank account but they're found nationally so does THAT tie me to FL?

3) I keep all my tax records for 10 years. My question here is what, when I'm moving to another country, is taxable (the moving expenses, the plane ride, etc. because it's for the purposes of obtaining a job)? I've never done this before. The other part of my question was basically answered somewhere else.

4) So, no tax breaks for healthcare workers. Gotcha!

5 and 6) Super helpful, thank you! I will need to use another system, then.

7) I didn't know this about audits. I've never been audited so that's interesting. Thank you for that!

As for 8, you'd already answered that one (and it keeps putting in an emoji whenever I write it which is frustrating). I figured on this one, but I thought I may as well ask, just in case. You've also already answered 9 and 10, so thank you for that, as well!

Do you know about 11 and 12? It's ok, if you don't.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies