turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from TN to GA for 2 months. Only worked in SC while I lived in GA. How do I handle this situation

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Moved from TN to GA for 2 months. Only worked in SC while I lived in GA. How do I handle this situation

It depends.  If your move to Georgia is a permanent one, you will file a South Carolina nonresident return and a Georgia part-year resident return for the income you earned in South Carolina while living in Georgia.  Georgia will give you credit for the taxes you pay in South Carolina on the income you earn there because you are taxed in Georgia as well on this income, and this prevents you from being over-taxed.  

If your move to Georgia is a temporary assignment, however (one that you expect to last less than one year), you file only a nonresident South Carolina return unless you earned income in Georgia, in which case you also file a nonresident return in Georgia, but only on the income earned in Georgia.  If you expect to be back in Tennessee, then you are not a permanent resident of Georgia.

In any case, since you only earned income in Tennessee while residing in Tennessee, that income is not taxed to any state because Tennessee does not have a state income tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If your move to Georgia is a permanent one, you will file a South Carolina nonresident return and a Georgia part-year resident return for the income you earned in South Carolina while living in Georgia.  Georgia will give you credit for the taxes you pay in South Carolina on the income you earn there because you are taxed in Georgia as well on this income, and this prevents you from being over-taxed.  

If your move to Georgia is a temporary assignment, however (one that you expect to last less than one year), you file only a nonresident South Carolina return unless you earned income in Georgia, in which case you also file a nonresident return in Georgia, but only on the income earned in Georgia.  If you expect to be back in Tennessee, then you are not a permanent resident of Georgia.

In any case, since you only earned income in Tennessee while residing in Tennessee, that income is not taxed to any state because Tennessee does not have a state income tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies